Pics ‘From the Listening Position’

@Innocent_Bystander behind me is a wall, I have the sofa pulled forward but not enough to allow for the fraim racks and the cable space behind for dressing etc. I would also be kneeling on the sofa to put a record on!

The Fraim can only go there, there is a door on the back wall in line with the Fraim so the speakers are centrally placed to the listening position. The TV is centrally placed on the wall along with the pictures. Speakers are just over 2m apart from memory, I had to bring them a few cms closer as I was getting a bit of a hole in the image initially so insure wider would help anyway.

My second system now fully set up in my study. With the exception of the new LG OLED C2 TV all the other AV equipment used to be my main system equipment before I upgraded it.
Dynaudio Audience 72 SE speakers (the ones with the Contour Series drivers), NAD C658 Streamer/DAC, Cambridge Audio BD 752 Bluray Player, Denon 3930 DVD Player (plays CD’s better than the Bluray Player) and SN3 + HiCap DR.

7 Likes

You mean you chose that carpet? Were you wearing sunglasses at the time?

Each to their own, I suppose.

2 Likes

Ideally, two layers of plasterboard, joints, offset, Rockwool, air gap, more Rockwool, and then more plasterboard. Details on Rockwool website indicating degree of attenuation depending on how much you use. Also important to insulate the ceiling above the room with Rockwool. Otherwise the sound will go over the top to the roof void and through from there. Installation is very different to attenuation. Tiny gaps in insulation dramatically, reduce effectiveness.

The Woodupp panelling with RW60 behind is now a fundamental component in the system and best value upgrade. Also gets much of the spaghetti out of sight.

31 Likes

Yamaha and Kawai both do professional soundproofing. I used Daiken but they don’t operate outside of Japan. For the previous two, they usually can provide information and pricing at one of their musical instrument centres.

It can get quite involved especially where air conditioning or external air vents are concerned.

Oh yes.

G

28 Likes

Just enjoying some music before dinner.

20 Likes

OMG I thought that was a plink plink fizz picture for a minute :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I now feel I’m not trying hard enough in the sock department.

G

7 Likes

I’m not sure I have enough patience to put those socks on of a morning. :grinning:

2 Likes

Too much toe-in (Is there no end to these toe in puns?).

G

6 Likes

They are not easy to put on.

We had toes in the hole for dinner and some wine.

5 Likes

Naim doesn’t like toe controls innit?

2 Likes

Very droll chaps

Bring back Mick Parry I say :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks John.

At PeterR’s suggestion I’ve gone for the Knauf Acoustic Roll…

Plenty left for another layer if I go for a double wall solution- and the ceiling too if required.

Will have to decide fairly quickly though as it’s all coming together now…

14 Likes

21 Likes

Evening session in the cabin.

7 Likes

@milesF your project is definitely coming on well. The two products are very similar. It’s now usual to provide structural separation through a double wall for sound installation purposes between two separate dwellings. Whether you bother to do this depends on how important avoiding noise transmission is to you. Deep bass is always difficult to contain as I’m sure you know.

Happily the nearest neighbours are some distance away.

So it’s just to minimise the noise seeping into my daughter’s bedroom next door. Did some testing with my Muso earlier and the Knauf seems pretty effective at that - even before the plasterboard has gone in. So will prob leave it at that.