Pics ‘From the Listening Position’

It’s amazing what they achieved, fuelled mainly by beer. Those were the days. Dougal Haston was a pretty wild guy back then.

Perhaps if the British got over their aversion to living in anything other than a 4 bedroom detached house, our kids might have somewhere decent to live. Apartments are the way forward if done properly.

3 Likes

Yep Joe tasker was a good person nice and warm willing to chat if you had the time , he had a small shop in hope at one point selling bits and bobs for climbing and outdoors, Don on the other hand put the wind up me very abrupt and to the point and would go quite quickly thinking things over.
Joe brown the complete opposite i remember watching them do bits off cyclops at burbridge in awe off how they could do it and make it look so easy ( to me anyway)
I was only a kid and should have been in school but bunked off most days to go and watch and chat.

2 Likes

To continue off topic I grew up in Sheffield and was heavily into climbing in the 80’s/90’s. Met joe Brown a few times in the Peak District and obviously llanberis. Lovely bloke and climbing scene was friendly but very competitive back then.
Funnily enough it was through climbing that I got into hifi as a couple of my climbing mates were into it and I can still remember the first time I heard a Rega Planar 3 at their home.
I saved up and bought a second hand LP12 from The Audio Centre, on West Street, which is still there I believe.
Moved to Leicester in the late 90’s so don’t climb much these days, but it’s not all bad as Cymbiosis is on my doorstep.

6 Likes

The thing I find bizarre in Britain is the obsession with the number of rooms. Quantity over quality.
Here usually we speak of price per m2, in the UK it’s X for a Y bedroom place as far as I can tell.

How is four tiny bedrooms inherently better than two decent size ones?

Or a tiny livingroom and diningroom better than a larger living area? (I find any separate diningroom a complete waste of space anyway)

8 Likes

Having three or four bedrooms is much better when you have children, so they can have their own space and not share a room. As to separate dining rooms, I think they are great, so long as they are not isolated miles from the kitchen, and wouldn’t want to be without ours.

25 Likes

That’s not specific to the UK though. And the reverse is also true, if you don’t have children you might prefer less but larger bedrooms.

I agree on the separate dining room, where we have our evening meal each night. And it houses my Muso 2nd system. Some people prefer open plan living; each to their own…

9 Likes

Can I note that both you and @HungryHalibut seem to have decent size dining rooms. HH also had a decent size living room judging by other pictures. If you have the room and prefer it, why not?

My point was more the houses I’ve seen where the living room, dining room & kitchen are all tiny. And the place would probably be a lot more liveable if at least two of the three were combined into a room of decent size.

Re the bedrooms, you are correct, it is a UK obsession to have at least a 4 bed detached before you can consider yourself to have made it, even if all you can get in one of them is a babies cot.

5 Likes

I could have had a four bedroom house but spent all the money on bloody hi fi…

17 Likes

I turned mine from a 3 bedroom to a 2 bedroom and took out the separate dining room to make a single larger Kitchen/Diner. Now the space is perfect for the 2 of us.
Oh, AND I spent a load of money on the HiFi’s🤷🏻‍♂️

3 Likes

It is one of the advantages of French ex farmhouses. Only three bedrooms but the smallest can hold a double bed and three double wardrobes, two chest of drawers and two bedside lamp tables, and still walk round the bed. Smug I am, but love the space this place gives us.

4 Likes

We moved to our house 6 years ago looking specifically for a house with fewer but larger rooms. Our last house had lots of smaller rooms that we never used. Much happier with the set up now.

And just because a house has many “bedrooms” doesn’t mean that they have to be rooms with beds in. My home office/listening room would officially be called a bedroom, because it’s on the first floor. Similarly, one of our “bedrooms” is our movie room. The uk obsession with number of bedrooms to reflect status is outdated but very entrenched.

1 Like

Interested to know where this ‘UK obsessed with the number of bedrooms’ thing come’s from? I know no one who shares this obsession. From what I see the biggest obsession in the UK’s actually getting a house/on the housing ladder. After that it’s outside space.

1 Like

Maybe its a generational thing then. All the people of similar age to either myself at 68 or my offspring 30-40 years, ask first where you live and then how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have. Very strange but it seems to matter to them.

1 Like

Oops apologies for the thread drift. Back on subject.
I wasn’t in a Rush to play this but with Mrs Bruss popped out it seemed the perfect opportunity.

I like it. Old rockers do it best. :grinning:

22 Likes

I’m your generation and no one’s ever asked me about bedrooms. People are often interested where I live as in, I thought that was a Leeds accent /isn’t a local accent. Is it social circle rather than generation? Who knows?

1 Like

Could be. Soft southerner here. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s a nice place to visit :wink:

1 Like