Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

So sorry to hear that, but hopefully you’re through the worst of it and are heading back to full recovery. What a terrible fall, you have all my sympathy.

5 Likes

My second copy of the album arrived yesterday from a different supplier. Far less ‘noise’ than on the first one, hooray! But, the massive warp has made me seasick watching the Ittok go up and down. Back it will have to go. What a disappointment. I got the CD but my heart is set on the vinyl, why is it so hard to get an acceptable copy?

2 Likes

I was going to chase a better vinyl copy, but I had an attack of CBA. A CD copy is due to be delivered today.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s very disappointing. My vinyl had to go back. Waiting for a replacement.
I really like this remix and I really want a quiet non warped pressing. Fingers firmly crossed!

2 Likes

My Copy of Pink Floyd “Animals” 2018 Remix arrived a couple of days ago from Amazon, is nice and flat and no Crackles. The only thing I have noticed is that it is slightly smaller, so more difficult to lift off the LP12. I have not found this before with any other Album. Perhaps they are cutting down on the Plastic Hmm. I have just had my Stiletto LP12 upgraded with Karousel, Ekstatik and the Radikal upgrade and any surface noise has just vanished. The noise floor has just dropped. Vocals are now so clear with great separation between the Instruments and the Bass is clear and precise through the refurbished DBL`s. Pink Floyd has been taken to a new level.

7 Likes

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Hoping that you are proceeding with your recovery

Ian

1 Like
1 Like

Battersea Power Station, yesterday…

25 Likes

Just listened to it on qobuz. Those pigs have been on steroids and I reckon you could play Sheep in a club and get away with it. Interesting but I’m probably going to listen to the original more often.

5 Likes

Excellent - if it proves to be successful (i.e. profitable), there’s a greater chance of further similar releases. Well, similar except hopefully in the matter of vinyl pressing quality.

C’mon Meddle!

Mark

3 Likes

But does Meddle need a remix?

1 Like

I’d so love to hear Echoes in a good 5.1 mix…

2 Likes

It probably doesn’t but it’s always nice to have an alternative. Meddle is such a great album I doubt they could ruin it.

2 Likes

Meddle Unplugged? :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been holding off on getting the vinyl of the Animals 2018 remix - the pressing issues are a concern (btw, dos anyone know who is doing the pressing of this release?).

Instead I decided to take a listen to my original pressing as well as the Guthrie/Grundman reissue from 2016. It had been a good many years since I had last listened, and I was surprised to find that my Guthrie/Grundman reissue was still sealed, so I never even got around to hearing it! It’s an interesting album, and it’s easy to hear the crossover from WYWH to The Wall - there are elements of both here.

My original has survived pretty well overall. I think it picked up a few little tics and some small scratches from being played by one of my housemates at Uni - he had the annoying habit of leaving the vinyl out of the inner sleeve and using gatefolds to roll ever longer and larger things to smoke, which would often leave bits behind inside the sleeve (yes, I still sometimes find those ancient bits). I had cleaned this one many years ago on my Nitty Gritty but it was probably due another run through on my ProJect. Overall though, it sounded very nice and with a wide spread of sound from the effects, which worked well. Bass though was a little soft I felt and this is where the Guthrie/Grundman reissue really improves things, along with a greater sense of crispness and sense of clarity (my original has been played a lot but is still in excellent condition, Myles notwithstanding). The downside of the later reissue is a somewhat “flatter” and less spacious sound. Some might immediately say “aha that’s digital for you” but I think it may be more complex than that and may be down to subtle tape loss over wear and time. So now I’m intrigued by the remix, but perhaps I’ll wait a bit and hope that the pressings improve before taking the plunge…

7 Likes

In the meantime have a listen to the 24bit version on Qobuz. It’s stunning.

3 Likes

Richard I got a hi res WAV file from HD Tracks and it’s wonderful there’s none of those issues you mentioned. The sound SQ of the digital file isn’t a problem, guess the question for me and few others is the mix better than the original.

3 Likes

I have a load of digital versions and I still prefer the vinyl - much more depth and that “palpable” quality that is so hard to define but you know it when you hear it.

2 Likes

Does that mean I should return my NDX2 :grin:

2 Likes

Send it over here. I’ll see if I can get anything out of it.

3 Likes