Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

No, as you have discovered, vinyl is a deep old rabbit hole through which to fall. Your NDX2 is a brilliant bit of kit. With a fair wind, vinyl can outdo it, but likely at much greater expense - and that’s before you factor in the (now) very costly software to run it with.

2 Likes

One rabbit hole is enough for me. At this level, streaming and vinyl can be pretty close, though different. Whether you prefer one over the other for sound or convince, tactile experience etc is another matter. For me, I decided to invest heavily in streaming and amplification and use a modestly upgraded old Rega Planar 3 with my 300 odd old records that I still have and a few newer ones I have for fun.

3 Likes

Hi fi full stop is a rabbit hole that most of us here have fallen through. I was only pulling your leg, it’s Friday night here and I am enjoying a beer. :+1:

4 Likes

I’m enjoying a bottle of English Shepard Meane Spitfire with David Gilmour.

3 Likes

Didn’t know he was NZ. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I used to have the ‘original’ CD rip.
That copy was dumped when I ripped the 2011 remaster as it was a significant change for the better in SQ, better low end & top end, more detail & definition in all respects.
The 2018 remix is another step up in SQ, but not so much of an improvement (as I remember) that I heard on the change to the 2011 release.
2018 to my ears has more in the drums, some vocal differences, changes in presentations & yes I like what I hear, so only time will tell if I keep the 2011.
However, my 2011 is a ripped CD, 16/44 whereas my new 2018 is 24/192 & that has to add something in the fidelity ratings.
I bought mine from HighResAudio for £20.80

2 Likes

I normally stop at 96 but went the whole hog with Animals (pardon the pun). It’s sounds spectacular.

3 Likes

What’s Mr Gilmour drinking (as I assume that he can afford to buy his own)?

1 Like

I have just received my vinyl copy from Amazon.

I’ve only had a quick listen as I wanted to check for any pressing issues and whether or not there’s a noticeable difference to the 2016 version.

The production and SQ sounds very good and to my ears, superior to the 2016 remaster. However, unfortunately my vinyl pressing has pops and crackles as others have reported.

I’ll be returning it for a refund and will source another copy elsewhere :unamused:

Reading all these tales here of woe about the new ‘Animals’ pressing makes me wary of even opening my copy.

You have to wonder what the quality control people at the pressing plant were up to when this unfortunate turkey waddled through the works. Were all copies pressed in the same place?

Discogs say that the vinyl was pressed at Record Industry who are normally one of, if not THE best pressing plant around. Almost all of my RI pressings are immaculate. Very odd…

1 Like

Mine has crackles on side 2. Side one is fine. Not sure I can be bothered to refund/replace. It is not that bad and I can live with it I think

3 Likes

How many drinks before you call him Dave - like we did in the good old days.

4 Likes

It’s beer and Dave and Roger this time, playing the Qobuz hi-res of the 2018 remix. I must say Pigs (three different ones) sounds pretty spectacular in particular - really dynamic and punchy with lots of air and detail.

4 Likes

You ought to open it and play it before you drift out of the return period. The defects aren’t visible to the naked eye.

Thanks, Clive. I need to get home first, and open up the stash of LPs that (I hope) await me. I shall play the remixed ‘Animals’ first, as it has picked up such bad reviews.

Sending LPs back to Amazon is such a royal pain in the posterior that I have kept LPs that I really should have returned. I suspect that this is the case for a large subset of Amazon users, and may even be built into Amazon’s business model.

1 Like

Personally I find it relatively easy to return products to Amazon. At least you don’t have to go back to a shop, just any Evri site. If you elect not to print the label, you don’t even have to pack it in the packaging it came in.

2 Likes

With so many reports of issues and Record Industry’s usual high pressing standards, it sounds like the issues may be down to the lacquer, mothers or stampers. It happens, but you hope it gets detected before you get to pressing LPs, which possibly got missed here?

1 Like

Mr Gilmour has a swanky seafront home in Hove a couple of miles along the coast from me. Perhaps I should bang on his door and complain about the pressing quality of the remixed ‘Animals’ LP.

(Or if I get the good pressing that must exist somewhere, I could do the same, but ask him to autograph it for me.)

1 Like

Hove, surely. Or as they say “Hove actually”

1 Like