Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

I think they all could sound better.

Blimey, you’ve heard them all?? :flushed: :flushed:

1 Like

4th LP - arrived today following 3 duff copies.

Listening to it now. It’s a fab remix.

BUT, still has pops and crackles (start of side 2), though not as bad as previously.

Having a crisis of confidence with vinyl at the moment following the recent purchase of rather expensive RCM which seems to have enhanced snap, crackle and pop, rather than eliminate it - and which I am trying to rectify.

This version seems no worse in that context.

2 Likes

What RCM did you get @Isca_Dumnoniorum?

A ‘Degritter’ Kev.

Don’t know what I’ve done wrong (actually nothing). It’s sprayed clicks and pops across my collection over the last few week more efficiently than a North Devon muck spreader. I’ve detailed my tribulations on the ‘record cleaning machine’ thread.

On the plus side, the Degritter customer service is excellent and they’ve promised to fix the issue.

But it has been demoralising - actually quite depressing. Just hope my vinyl collection isn’t damaged.

1 Like

Is that the BBC Wembley Empire Pool November 1974 version? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes…sorry. Too late and too tired. Whatever, that’s my ‘go to’ DSOTM

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. My experience after getting an RCM was the opposite: on both new and secondhand LPs, pops and crackles were reduced or disappeared.

You’re not the only one with RCM woes though – one of the logic boards on my Audiodesk has gone and I currently have a very expensive water trough-cum-paperweight. Stephen at the Audio Consultants thinks he can fix it, which will be a quicker and less pricey than sending it back to Germany.

1 Like

Well, my first copy of vinyl from the Deluxe set was fairly poor, reported the issue to the supplier, who were very helpful and sent out a new box set, that was actually worse! not just clicks and pops but a jump at a quarter of the way through side one track two, so getting a refund, ridiculous this amount of failure, how can a record manufacturer get it so wrong? any body know of a regular supply of good copies please ?

1 Like

You’re a bit far from North Cambridgeshire to come to my guy. I had one of his two copies and it was good. Sadly, I’m fairly certain he doesn’t do mail order, but I can ask him if he still has one and will send it?

Hi QS, if you could find out and let me know I would be very grateful. Thank you for the offer of help.

Hi Nick
He still has the other copy.
He has suggested that I go in and ratify it is new and sealed. Then he’ll unseal and play it in my presence to see if it’s ok.
Then if it’s good you can do the deal with him and he’ll send it to you.
He hasn’t got the worlds greatest system in the shop, but it should be sufficient to identify if it is ok or not.
What do you think?
Alternatively, I’ll go and buy it. You can come down and listen to it on my system and if you’re happy pay me for it. If it’s not good I’ll take it back to him.

This is incredibly kind of you young man! I think I’ll take you uo on your offer to review it if you have the time, thank you!

What is his business name by the way?

Music Box in Wisbech
His name is Dave Allen and I’ve been buying Vinyl from him on & off for 18 years.
He’s a nice guy and a sensibly priced reseller of both new and preloved Vinyl & CD’s.
I got my 1st UK press of Ziggy Stardust off him earlier this year for £150. Often traded at over £300 on Discogs.

1 Like

That is a massive difference!

3rd copy arrived yesterday from Amazon…another failure I’m afraid. Must be costing them a fortune :astonished:

It doesn’t make sense, does it? All business logic says that they will go bust if they keep doing things like this.

I assume that it’s the record label, rather than the band themselves, who are taking what must be a fairly sizeable hit on this. Although, if the label is Pink Floyd’s own (I haven’t had the pleasure(?) of seeing my LP yet), that is going to hurt like hell - that’s a familiar phrase!

Does anyone have a theory why it is this particular LP by this particular group that is so badly affected, or have Pink Floyd’s problems just masked greater industry problems?

I don’t think there’s much if any logic to thoughts of linking what is a terrible pressing to the Floyd as a band or the history between its’ members.

The plant itself has (had, hopefully) the problem. Whether we’ll every know what exactly, I doubt…dust-storm, awful QC, sabotage(!)…who knows. Hope a salutary lesson has been taught to whoever needs it. The sheer numbers of returns must be noted somewhere in their records (pun intended).

There are indeed poor-ish pressings of new vinyl, but there are some wonderful ones too. I do think that records on the whole were better pressed back in the (choose your decade)… the plants certainly had plenty of practice…but the resurgence of vinyl has produced both beauties and ugly ducklings. Fingers crossed they grow up to be swans.

2 Likes

Blimey…£150…
I’m going to start adding up my records.
Y’never know…when I’ll need some dosh, some of my oldies may come in handy!

Just kidding - over my stiffening corpse… :laughing:

1 Like