Pizza Ovens

Some of Them were burnt a bit

1 Like

Another ooni owner here, bought the koda16 middle of first lockdown, am loving it and so do the family. Although still struggle to get the kids off a simple margarita (but I do put secret ingredients into my pizza sauce so they are getting more veg! mwha mwah mwha)

I have a go to fresh yeast no preferment dough based on YouTubes Vinchenzoā€™s plate guy, but am also loving the polish / bigga doughs for extra bubbles, crunch and depth of flavour - Vito Iacopelli from YouTube another top watch.

Hereā€™s some pics of my efforts.

5 Likes

ā€¦.adding to your comment, a little Mathew. We have been using a Pizza Stone on our gas barbecue grill for three years gone at our cabin. The barbecue has a lid on on it, of course, has a temperature gauge and is very controllable. The resulting home made Pizzas are excellent.

I have not used a Pizza oven or tasted a Pizza cooked in one, but they are quite expensive here, can be up to Ā£600. I wonder if itā€™s really worth all that money over a Ā£50 Pizza Stone than can be used on a standard barbecue (with lid of course)?

I guess the proof is in the pudding, someone will have to invite me to sample their Pizza oven attempt. But it does strike me as another over priced trend.

I have used both and the dedicated ovens are better. Having said that the stone on gas bbq is the closest I have got to real Italian pizza without a dedicated oven

Iā€™ll take you word for it, Ryder. But I would need to taste a huge difference to fork out that kind of money on a Pizza Oven.

Then save yourself some cash. Going to a real oven is for the obsessives. If you are happy with the bbq message no need to go down the rabbit hole!

But what do they start at?

Our Uuni (Ooni) cost about Ā£160 in 2019, though I note the current cheapest one is now about Ā£250. It certainly works better than a pizza stone on a proper barbeque - meaning a charcoal one, because you can continue the heat indefinitely whereas you canā€™t a normal charcoal barbeque. My sister-in-law has a pizza stone for her expensive ceramic egg type lidded barbeque, and whilst it can make nice pizzas, it is mot as hot as a Uuni, and takes longer to cook (which is better for thicker base pizzas rather than Napoli style), but for a pizza party it is necessary to stop after a few, recharge with charcoal and wait.

A gas ā€œbarbequeā€ is a different matter, though in my opinion it is a misnomer, simply being a gas grill, griddle or oven) and not a barbeque. As a gas pizza oven a lot will depend on the temperature it can reach (and how quickly lost when lid opened).

:grimacing: somebody call? :grimacing:

1 Like

:slight_smile: we should get badges made!

2 Likes

With a stone on a BBQ you donā€™t get the flame wafting over the pizza Napoli style, makes all the difference.

Blowtorch, anyone? :rofl:

1 Like

Blowtorch fitted inside a lidded BBQ?

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Apparently pizza dough ā€œsweatsā€ when used at a too high room temperature.
Note to self to remember in futureā€¦.
Donā€™t try and prepare pizza on the hottest day of the year.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the general consensus regarding cleaning ?

I have been after each pizza session going at it with a wash up to get the black soot off from the top roof of my Ooni Kara 12.
Looking online on the Ooni forum, some have had soot fall onto the pizza because thereā€™s no definitive recommendations about cleaning - with obviously those not bothering to clean at all.
I didnā€™t clean the soot off after my last recent cook and definitely tasted the bitterness.

I think the manual suggests reversing the stone, the heat then burns off the stuff on the underside, alternatively you could just run it fairly hot with the door on for a while after use. Iā€™ve removed the stone a few times on my Karu to clean after a few disasters but generally itā€™s been fine

Iā€™m not talking about the stone.
More the roof. The underside of the top where most of the flames or gas is resident, are you with me ?

Ah ok sorry, misread that. Mine is wood fired and I donā€™t have the gas option, I guess just run it really hot for a while and maybe itā€™ll burn off, either that or get a soft bristle brush.

Thanks. No need to apologise

Just going through the logic of using a pizza oven.

Of course with a purpose built large wood fired oven - it would be problematic to deep clean the soot buildup from the roof.

With my Ooni, after every cook - I have meticulously cleaned any soot residue from the roof and chimney using a wet soapy sponge, to leave it black soot freeā€¦

Was only asking for confirmation from other Ooni users that they have done the same.

Only that I have had bad tasting results without a good clean.

Mine is a wood fired clay oven, so may be different, but it is generally only you ready to cook when it is so hot that the soot is burned off the roof - thatā€™s how you judge the temp. Well, that and a fancy IR temp gun, but I like using the soot method and watching the soot line move down the inside of the dome as it gets hotter.

1 Like