Pound for pound, Naim’s greatest ever product

Answers might differ dependent on the range, but currently I’d go for the Uniti Nova which is just an excellent all-rounder and more than many people would ever want/need - great streamer with excellent input selection, pre and power sections in one box. Add a Powerline…

The Star and Atom would also be good contenders, especially with the Star’s additional CD ripping capability.

No phono input on any but I suspect most using a turntable might already have a dedicated phono pre-amp.

8 Likes

It has to be a pre amp IMO. So fundamental in a Naim set up.

£ per £ I’d go with the 32.5 when powered by a Hicap. Back in the day it was relatively inexpensive and allowed my LP12/ Ittock/ Karma to thrill on many occasions.

Best ever product irrespective of price for me is the S1

4 Likes

Definitely the NAC 72 for me.

10 Likes

Nat 05.

1 Like

Hi Naim olive 250 hands down, still the best but needs service.

3 Likes

Nait 2 Olive.

Please don’t mention the CB version with its tractor tyre style control knobs.

Here is a dreadful admission, I have a Nait 2 sitting on a shelf in my bedroom, unattached to anything that might make it produce music. t just gives me comfort to look at it, and I switch it on occasionally just to see the green glow of its lights.

19 Likes

Two products come to mind to me.

Aro

CDS / CDPS

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

3 Likes

The NAT 01 makes every other front end look stupid for the money :slight_smile:

8 Likes

From my experience with my recently-acquired NDX 2, I would have to agree with you, Mike.

1 Like

At c£800 I thought the Naim Nait 5si improved any basic system enormously. Completely unfussy, given a half way decent input and speakers it just delivered wonderful music.

4 Likes

Naim Nait 1.

At £225, which is what I paid for it new in 1986, it sounds like a bargain, although at the time I found it quite a stretch. It’s been serviced twice since, once by Naim Audio and just last month by Class A Audio. For something that’s given 35 years of enjoyment, I consider that to represent an absolute bargain. Even now I can be listening to it and sometimes feel it gives a more natural sound than the 500 series kit downstairs.

28 Likes

I still think the NAT01 is Naim Audio’s best ever source component.

5 Likes

I agree especially given what the Nait 1 has led to g a long product line of successful Naits and Supernaits.

Hello I fully understand the aesthetics of the olive series rocks my boat, I have recently re purchased a full naim/linn system I originally owned 25 years ago and foolishly got rid of it, now back in situ and alls good in the world, and I to like to look at the system just powered up, sad maybe but who cares.

4 Likes

Have to agree with you on the NAC552. My close second is the NAP300.

3 Likes

CDS3 player. obviously.

3 Likes

I still have a recently NAIM serviced NAC 42.5, SNAPS and NAC 110 and as I listen to them all right now, through Dynaudio S40s, it still gives immense joy.

4 Likes

I’m equally sad. I love the acid green lit lettering against the olive background and the occasional bit of scarlet font!

I also bought my Nait 1 in 1986 (but for £250) and though it mostly resides in the cupboard these days, when hooked up to the SBLs it sounds improbably musical. I’d want it to go to a good home, or maybe one day I’ll downsize and use it. At university one of my college friends skipped meals and beers to get one, which was a huge sacrifice and we’d wind him up about the 13W but he had it on all the time and I suppose it became the ‘gateway drug’ to my own upgrade addiction. So from naim’s perspective as a sales driver it probably is pound for pound their best product!

5 Likes