Power conditioning

FangfosserFlyer - I’m beginning to agree and my system sounds great with the Wiremold.

Naim use transformers with a +/- 12% tolerance so 121v instead of 115 shouldn’t be a problem. Although overvoltage can cause transformer hum, if they are not humming at 121v I’d not worry about it.

Rarely is anyone’s mains bang on the dot for the stated voltage. You might even find variances at different times of the day.

A conditioner won’t correct that. An AC regenerator with regulation will and there are many on the market but really, the Naim won’t mind. In fact, Naim ship the same 115v units for territories with 125vAC and 100vAC.

1 Like

feeling_zen - I’m not experiencing any transformer hum anywhere in my system. I was surprised at the Multimeter’s results. I’m no longer seeking power conditioning at this time. I’m going to test the amperage next…

I don’t think that will tell you anything useful beyond the current amperage consumed at a given point in time. Put an amperage collar on a mains cable with nothing connected to the socket and it should read zero.

If you really wanted to test the quality of the mains, I’d suggest asking a dealer or electrician who knows what they are doing to get out with a high frequency oscilloscope and actually measure it for things like offset, RF noise, sine consistency and spikes. It’s not really a DIY job for several reasons. Safety being primary (you can’t just stick standard probes on the mains), cost, (decent equipment to measure RF costs a couple thousand $) and of course, knowing how to read and interpret the results.

If they find something concerning, they can suggest a corrective measure. For example, if they found terrible RF noise, you could then try a conditioner and see if that made an audible difference.

Assessing quality beyond voltage is just going down a rabbit hole. Probably the best thing you can do in the home is get a $15 mains wiring tester that just plugs in, gives you a voltage readout on the screen and confirms that live, neutral and earth are in the right place (you be surprised how often neutral and earth are swapped or earth goes nowhere).

Why I appreciate what you are attempting, it is a bit like the average person surfing WebMD and deciding they have some rare disease rather than seeing a doctor.

Thank you, I think? for your well thought out and cogent comment’s. I have the “apparatus” your speaking of and my live, neutral and ground,(earth) connections are correct. Big green light! Though I don’t feel belittling someone in this arena is appropriate.
G1

2 Likes

Hi @Gracie.1 another easy small experiment you can try is listening to your system without the TV plugged into the strip - if this easily achieved.

Having the SN3 directly into the wall is probably the best option, but alternatively you could try it in the strip with the other components (without the TV plugged in). This could be an improvement and the best thing is it is free!

Hi GeoffC - Thank you for the positive response.
I’ll remove the TV and I’ll try running the Supernait 3 from the strip.

1 Like

Hello
I have jumped into this post quite late but thought I should add my thoughts, I have a naim set, 82, hicap, 250, cdx and xps I had a problem with noise which I sussed was the fridge, I had tried a mains conditioner and did find it had a detrimental effect to the sound quality I have since got rid of said item, a friend suggested fitting a mains filter plug onto the fridge, Bingo problem solved for less than the price of a couple of cups of coffee, this might be totally irrelevant but one fitted on your tv might just help. Regards.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. That wasn’t my intention at all. I was just trying to convey that measuring these things is possibly more involved than you anticipate and that not knowing the intricacies involved, a person could easily come out with the wrong conclusion.

Hi Neil956 - Thanks for the feedback.

No apologies.

Thanks for everyone’s comments and suggestions.
I’m no longer considering power conditioning.
G1

1 Like

Just to clarify, keeping the SN3 plugged in the wall may still be the best option - but don’t have the TV in the strip with your other components when listening to music. Logically this will avoid any type of interference it might introduce, and you might prefer the system sound without it too.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff. I’ve always preferred to have my amplifiers plugged directly into the wall outlet.

2 Likes

I use a Niagara 1200. Everything but my amp is plugged into it and the improvement is easy to hear

3 Likes

Currently trying out an IFI DC Blocker on my 300PS, currently no difference. But I’ll give it a few more days to settle down as it’s not been in for 24 hours as yet.

Tim

Hello Timbo - Im currently using three iFi Noise Purifiers on the circuit. I honestly can’t speak to their effectiveness but perhaps their performance is cumulative. They do indicate I have proper earthing.

Thanks, dayjay - I think your the third post advocating Audioquest.

1 Like

Posted the IFI item back to Amazon, really didn’t do anything.

Tim

I have the ATLHiFi company dc blocker. It works to reduce, even eliminate transformer hum on my Naim equipment. If transformer hum is the problem Tim, I recommend it.