Powerlines

No fuses in NZ plugs either. Obviously, there’s the fuse in the Naim powered boxes, but I’m not even going to think about switching them out for an alternative.

1 Like

I thought that the important concept was the flow of money from our wallets into the economy (via our dealer’s accounts).

I’m not sure if I could tell when a cable is the wrong way around. Mostly I’m enjoying the music sufficiently to not be bothered spending time switching them out. That said, I do run a full-loom Morgana, because it sounded nice and the snakey oil sorted out my dry flaky skin quick-smart.

3 Likes

This is evident in my opinion. The question remains: it is negligible or not?

Given the number of people who consistently hear consistent directionality in audio cables (not least Naim audio!), the only conclusion must be that it is indeed negligible and that a directionality effect applies no differently to mains cables as it does to signal cables.

Mark

I am aware that directionality can be detected by ear in signal cables, but not in mains cables. Can you please direct me to a link about mains directionality?

I can’t post it as a link because it’s a commercial website, but Russ Andrews has long promoted the idea of directionality in mains cables, and fuses - google should be able to help you, or I can try to dig something out from an older book when I’m next home and have time. There are also all the comments above about putting Bussman fuses a particular way around, plus the comment from Jason Gould quoted by Richard in the FAQ section of this very forum:

Equipment Fuses - Frequently Asked Questions - Naim Audio - Community

Mark

Well I suppose it would silly not to make the plug fuse turn the ‘right way’ on replacing the existing original factory fuse. Some of the ‘audiophile’ fuse offerings are however laughable.
My Powerlines were all about 13 years old, and tbh I had never really considered the slow degradation over the years until I got a light bulb moment and asked @Cohen1263 ( very queued in on mains), who subsequently mentioned Bussmann.
A couple of weeks ago I changed all mine at the outrageous cost of £3.96, as has another good friend (JN) of this parish of old on my prodding. We both came to very much the same conclusion about the improvement it brought to our replay. In conversation with JamesN he also reported a pleasing improvement. So maybe it’s safe to put expectation bias aside ( tbh I wasn’t really expecting anything much), but hey presto it actually really works! :hugs:
I would also expect an increased effect as to our individual levels of resolution from our gear. Once changed they actually improve slightly over the 1st week also. It almost feels like Christmas :partying_face: Enjoy Peter

4 Likes

My fuses arrive on Thursday. I can barely contain myself :grin:

2 Likes

Peter, you know you want to try the Quantum Science fuse really! I wonder how many they actually sell.

The old NZ Naim distributor found (and Naim management at the time agreed) that reversing the fuse direction from the factory setting had a beneficial impact on sound quality

I actually tried :crazy_face: and admittedly couldn’t tell the difference. Benefit of the doubt and all that……. Best Peter

Hi Nigel, yeah completely barking really. I know of someone, who’s bought 4 fuses at £200,- a pop :relaxed: ATB Peter

At the Whittlebury show quite a few years back Abbingdon Music Research (beautiful sounding stuff) were giving away a fuse that they used in their wires. Having checked the rating I tried it in the then powerlead on my Roksan and yes it made a difference, notes hung longer etc.

It’s fascinating how something so tiny can make a difference. Then again, we spend hundreds on PowerLines and other upgrade mains leads, with fancy conductors, insulation, shielding and whatever, yet the power is coming through that teensy weensy little wire in the fuse, so perhaps it’s not surprising that they can make a difference.

2 Likes

Chris and I did the test at the Naim factory and at The Real Music Company in Wellington. The difference was subtle but definitely seems to have an effect on perceived timing.

3 Likes

Absolutely and also the natural degradation of said small wire over time. From what I’ve heard in my system, this shall lead me to make a fuse change every 2-3 years going forward. ATB Peter

1 Like

Any other fuse is a busman’s holiday.
I’m glad I cheered everyone up. :+1:t2:
Now they are all the same age and running time and rating can’t do any harm. :ok_hand:t2:
I had a real collection of different makes and ratings all different ages so great quality and directional as well as conductive consistency and not silly money.
Free Inky Blackness. :+1:t2:

1 Like

@Richard.Dane The JG description from the Q&A (cited below) - is this how UK mains plug fuses are factory installed by Naim?

“As for which way round to fit it, Jason Gould advises as follows:
‘If the kite safety mark is embossed on the edge of the of the fuse’s conductive cap the fuse value should point towards the bottom of the fuse holder. Should the kite mark be embossed on the very end of the fuse’s cap then the fuse value should face the top of the fuse holder’.”

The Jason Gould advice is for the internal glass fuses not the ceramic plug ones.
Proper quote below.
“ As for which way round to fit it, Jason Gould advises as follows:

“If the kite safety mark is embossed on the edge of the of the fuse’s conductive cap the fuse value should point towards the bottom of the fuse holder. Should the kite mark be embossed on the very end of the fuse’s cap then the fuse value should face the top of the fuse holder”.

More fuse info:

The correct fuse rating for each, unmodified, unit is detailed on the rear label - by the IC male socket/fuse holder.

Later models have a fuse holder which holds both the active fuse and a, supplied, spare.”

1 Like

I’m not sure it will pass the Skeptikal approval standard.
Your pet no-no - Screw termination biting into wire
Riveted link joints connect L, N & E pins to screw terminal blocks & fuse carrier. Even El Cheapo 99p 13A plugs connect wires direct to pins