Premier League 2024-2025

Just leaving Selhurst. That was poor from us - not the form we had at end of last season. I’m sure @TheKevster enjoying a pint now

1 Like

Just in from St Mary’s after our defeat by a more creative Forest.

Taking the positives, Tyler Dibling deserves a start with his speed through the lines. Kyle Walker-Peters also excellent.

Striker needed.

Tough game up at Villa Park but The Arsenal’s superiority showed through in the end.

Trossard Again, It’s Trossard Again, Trossard Again Ole Ole.

Arteta really should be using Lenny T from the start, with Martinelli as a sub if he’s needed.

And those away shirts are 'orrible.

1 Like

In almost all of the games he has started for us Leandro Trossard has been much less effective than when used as a sub. What Arsenal really need this season is a new wide forward capable of playing on both flanks someone like Nico Williams of Atletico Bilbao who will both deputise for and compete with both Martinelli and Saka.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the new away shirt and have bought one it was designed in collaboration with Labrum a cloth designer from London heavily influenced by West African designs and textiles.

Better than your average bog standard footie shirt in my opinion.

I can’t remember the last time Martinelli was any good from the start, so unless they do sign another wide player, I still say: Start with His Lenniness.

I know the shirts are supposed to reflect Pan-Africanism. Tastes differ. Me, I can’t stand the busy-ness; the red and green stripes and the zebra patches (or whatever they are). And that red cannon is waaaay too big.

Oh yes, and having a player called Timber makes my brain hurt :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For the first time I will agree with you :flushed: I was wondering where the green came from, i.e old team colour. Way way better than last seasons away kit.

Martinelli has really suffered from the loss of Granit Xhaka since his departure we are a very unbalanced side. As brilliant as Martin Odegaard is he is very right sided in his play and as our main creative threat that means almost all of our attacking threat is right sided with Bukayo Saka obviously and Ben White under and overlapping even Tomas Partey is drawn over to that right side most of the time.

Martinelli therefore has become quite isolated over on the left which is increased with Zinchenko and even Timber to a lesser degree inverting into midfield so that when Martinelli gets the ball he has no real outlet other than Declan Rice and on top of that because we overload onto our right side the opposition’s left sided defenders only have Martinelli to deal with which usually means he has two or sometimes three men to try and get past.

During his breakout season in 21/22 under he had always had Kieran Tierney to play with who was an out and out wing back who would always try to run past him and give him another option and during his best season 22/23 when Arteta started using an inverted left back he pushed Granit Xhaka further forward which again gave Martinelli someone to interplay with.

With the signing of Mikel Merino hopefully Mikel Arteta has tried to address our left side of but I still think we need to buy another attacking wide player my best wish is for Nico Williams but someone like Ademola Lookman could aslo do a job for us.

1 Like

As an aside, it would appear that with Mikel Merino at 188cm tall, the Arsenal squad is getting “bigger” , particularly compared with some of the “small” teams Arsène Wenger put out…

I have been reading about Fabian Hürzeler in the papers. If even half of it is true, I think you are in for a really good season.

He seems to be an inspired appointment.

C.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that the club are investing in an attempt to finish top 6 this season and have a fuller squad for a Europe season next year.

A bit of a gamble if we don’t finish in Euro places, but we definitely suffered last season with small squad and europa league.

We’re a bit more direct than under de Zerbi- but that also means a bit less of the Kamikaze “invite the press” stuff. A lot better for my blood pressure !

2 Likes

At least until he moves to Chelsea

:joy::joy:

:wink:

:wink::soccer::soccer::soccer:

Impressed with AFCB - great to see Cook doing well. Was a huge loss to LUFC. Sinistieri also making an appearance late on. Another loss to LUFC. Surely the 92nd minute goal had to stand? Joelinton should have walked. Straight red at rugby league never mind football. Refs eh!

Let’s see what Brentford (without Toney) have to offer, another underdog.

Poor today from Newcastle and lucky to get a point. Gave possession of the ball away countless times and Isak and Gordon nowhere near match fit.

Bournemouths goal was rightly disallowed but Joelinton was stupid at the end and was very lucky to stay on. I’m not sure why VAR didn’t look at that, but I’ve given up working out what VAR is there for…

We’re probably 4 points better off than we deserve to be and a huge improvement is needed for the Spurs game on Sunday.

1 Like

Yes we were pretty poor, too many players wanted too much time on the ball. It still surprises me how many players don’t look ready for the start of the season. I am sure all the pre-season travelling can’t help.

Willock provided some much needed forward drive when he came on and we came close a couple of times in the last 15 minutes to snatching a winner that we really didn’t deserve.

It will be interesting to see what team Eddie puts out mid week in the cup

The main plus point this week Graeme is that Tonali is back for Wednesday. When up to match fitness he will start every game. We still need a right winger and a Centre Half. I think a big week lies ahead…