Premier League 2024-2025

Well, we got out of jail (again) there today. A very sloppy performance, particularly in the second half. Gordon and Isak don’t look anywhere near match fit, but great to see Tonali back.

Whilst we gifted Spurs their goal, they pressed really well and I think they’ll have a decent season.

Still unbeaten (somehow) but the International break is coming at a good time for us, and Schar has served his suspension now :black_heart::white_heart:

2 Likes

You can’t blame Palace for your inept transfer window :wink:

I don’t. I blame Newcastle for not walking away from the media-seeking egotist, Parish, 4 weeks ago. We both know that Guehi will never go for a fee of £70m fee, which is what we offered. Enjoy your season.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more… it was like watching someone getting carried away on an eBay auction… I found myself (repeatedly) saying, walk away, please just walk away!

The one positive is we now still have those funds for another transfer window. Hopefully one that has more planning in place. It felt completely unorganised this time and the worst thing would have been to stump up £70m for a player that isn’t worth it.

Watched both games today. Spurs, Newcastle, Mancs aren’t troubling City any time soon. Spurs can’t defend. Newcastle defend the game to death (at home) and the Mancs look a disorganised mess. 3 managers under threat this season, potentially. Meanwhile Slot seems to have slotted right in. Liverpool looking very much the best of the bunch.

3 Likes

Agree, we should have walked away much earlier. I also agree that we need to have a bit of a better plan in place for January and next summer. I wonder if they had expected to get (acceptable) offers in for a few players that never actually materialized (Dubravka and Almiron) and so were struggling to free up enough funds.

@Andyblain I am not sure how we ended up with all 3 points after that hammering in the second half. Our first half wasn’t too bad but Ange’s changes were very effective in the 2nd half and we really struggled to get a foothold on the midfield. We looked a bit more in control when Sandro came on.

In the end 7 points and into the next round of the league/milk/carabao cup isn’t a bad way to go into the break.

2 Likes

So true @A-Fin Some smaller clubs think they can just take the p*ss, because we have money. I just wish we hadn’t humoured them, and walked away earlier. I don’t blame the player, who behaved more honourably than his Chairman. Palace now have a player who doesn’t want to be there and whose value will decrease.

I’m glad the transfer window is over. It’s a charade. My team have not managed it well, but now it’s time to get on with it. :black_heart::white_heart:

1 Like

We may not be playing our best at the moment but you can see the passion, the determination and fight to get the points … can’t fault them for that. It will come together but it’s a good sign we can pickup these points when we aren’t playing at our best!!

1 Like

I thought that under Radcliffe’s guidance and investment things were going to improve at Old Trafford. That looked very much like last season’s United to me. 0-3 flattered them. Liverpool looked good this afternoon but I hope Slot reminds his players that they still have scope to be more ruthless in their finishing. That could be the difference when they come against decent opposition.

1 Like

You mean like the way Ineos were going to improve the performance, recruiting and winning mentality of Team Sky in the TDF etc… yeah, that hasn’t turned out well either !

1 Like

Pleased that Leicester have managed to stick two fingers up to Premier League incompetence. :grinning:

1 Like

It will be interesting to note who ‘drops out’ of the England squad in the next few days, and then make miraculous recoveries for their league clubs.

1 Like

Hope it’s Harry Kane

Well, Timber, as you lot love to call him, certainly hasn’t been pulling up any trees lately for England… see what I did there…
But with Watkins already waving his sick note (along with Palmer), who’s gonna lead the line ? Your boy Madueke ? To be brutally honest, I know nowt about the lad.

Thought I was in the Joke thread for a moment.

1 Like

How can they get away with it!

It’s not ‘getting away with’ anything. Businesses frequently and commonly split themselves up into several different entities and transfer assets between them, usually ultimately for tax purposes (even my own personal favourite hypocritical tax fraudster, Lord God Almighty Gary Lineker, legally does it between his own bizzes).

I wouldn’t be surprised if huge numbers of people associated with the FA, UEFA and FIFA do the same.

I would imagine the FA realised to suggest that a football club can’t do the same, because they’re a football club, would put them on pretty thin ice.

They may follow the direction of UEFA at a later date but I can’t help feel that a legal case under some kind of unfair and restrictive practice challenge would have legs.

He remains very much not my cup of tea, however that’s quite something.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even as a ManU supporter I can’t stand his ego, but you can’t argue against his stats and his achievements.

2 Likes