Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

!!! Stop bad mouthing the XPS-DR !!! :rofl:

3 Likes

I know, I know. It’s just I keep reading here that the nDAC just doesn’t ‘come to life’ until you reach 555PS territory. At that point there is no way I would even consider a Naim DAC. There are so many others at that price point that I would factually rather have…but it will never happen.

1 Like

Some, possibly a majority in terms of forum opinions, prefer the non-DR 555PS on the NDAC. Probably not much different in price to an XPSDR.

1 Like

Interesting. Is there a rationale for this? I have read this as well here and there.

What about Chord Dave or Holo May with separate PS for half the price?
I mean I love my amp. But reading that there is sharp rolloff at 20Hz with naim’s dacs, and this dac is 10 hears old… and is still an improvement to a 6K€ player……
It feels weird and I feel the need to stay way.

Not sure you are in the right place for rationale here! There is a notion that the NDAC was developed pre-DR though, so possibly you would expect it to work well with contemporaneous gear.

1 Like

Where I’m from it’s hard as hell to find a pre-loved 555PS or 555PS-DR and they are pricey. Regardless I’m so very happy with my XPS-DR. With the nDAC it’s a very balanced setup IMHO.

5 Likes

So far @marcusman, I would have to agree.

1 Like

Which ones?

Also with you marcusman

Only difference is I haven’t caught up to you on the front end

Still got the CD5XS

For me no hurry the music is good and it’s a well balanced system

Love the nDAC

2 Likes

Oops tell a lie - have the XPS-2

Well that won’t be getting DR’d in a hurry ha😀

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, offerings from DCS, for certain; Mola Mola; Berkeley; Rockna; Chord.

Of course there are lots of DACs to choose from, and price is not necessarily a good indicator of sound quality. Dave is not that much cheaper than NDAC/555 was, but then there are people who sold their NDAC/555 in favour of a Mk1 Hugo at a fraction of the price when it was current.
Presumably unlike some, you don’t like the sound of the NDAC judging by your comments here. Listen to some alternatives and you should be able to find something that you prefer.

2 Likes

Perhaps a little bit off topic…but I just bought a Qutest which I want to use for my ND5XS2 and SN2 combo. How exactly do I connect them together? I want to use toslink between the streamer and the DAC. Best option, right? But my tv is currently also connected with toslink to my streamer. The Qutest DAC only has 1 optical input. So can i just keep the current tv connection or would this then still uses the internal DAC of the streamer? For the record, I use this setup 90% for Tidal streaming, and 10% for watching movies/bluray (the latter is directly plugged into the tv).

Thanks!

Use the BNC output of the ND into the Qutest.

1 Like

Okay thanks, with which type of cables? And so in this way I can connect the tv and DAC via toslink or is that not needed then? Cheers

Just get a 75 ohm BNC to BNC cable.
Select the output in the ND5XS2 settings to bypass its own DAC. Settings/audio output/digital BNC.
Your Tv can then go via optical into the qutest.

4 Likes

Naim do their own BNC cable DC1 if you don’t already know. They aren’t cheap, but you might find one used if you look around.

Thanks, i checked an for now far too costly but I will keep an eye on it :wink:

I used a DC1 some years back but found the QED Performance 75Ohm cable BNC-BNC (bright purple) at £25 just as good if not better.

HDX-NDac.

G

2 Likes