Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Wish you hadn’t confirmed the powerline is worthwhile lol

There’s another 400 quid gone on a used powerline for our nDAC then. Was always on the cards tbh we have powerlines on everything else :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry about that lol. If it helps I waited for almost a year without one my nDac.

I think I’ve lost the plot here, but is the questioner running the DAC with an XPS?

I once had an nDAC - regretting i sold it reading this thread.
I was looking in the future when funds allow to get an NDX2 - which i will add a 555.

However would an ND5XS2 into a nDAC/555 be better/equal?

One more box yes - but cheaper.
Not too worried about a screen on the streamerr - so how do the nDAC and the NDX2 dacs compare?

2 Likes

Yup.

Ok, I admit, I have never had an NDX2 at home.

Just twice at dealers’ listening rooms, with and without 555DR.

So not a fair fight, context-wise.

But - and it’s a Big Butt - the nDAC wins because:

It’s separates.
It’s got a better DAC chip.

That’s my ha’penny.

Jim

2 Likes

i like this.
streaming changes so much not like dac and amplification.

i was unclear the ndac dac was “better”

so in some ways it s he most future proof solution!

love to hear from someone who disagrees

1 Like

Well, whether it’s a better dac chip is ultimately subjective, but the nDAC has the same dac chip as the NDS and the ND555, iirc.

Of course, the dac chip is literally a small piece of the overall puzzle, and what matters is the system synergy and set up as a whole.

2 Likes

All of this talk of the nDAC lately had me VERY curious, so I did end-up getting a really choice, looked to be barely used nDAC; even the box looked like it was just off the shelf.

Now, unfortunately, there was a mishap in the interim of receiving it, as my SuperCap went sideways and I had to have it sent in. I was afraid it took out my NAC 252, as there was no music, except very faintly in one speaker. That was almost a couple of months without a system to listen to, but it came back and I just got everything back up-and-running this past Tuesday, so not much time with it.

My system now is NAC252/NAP250DR/NDX2/XPS-DR/nDAC/SuperCap. A lot of boxes, but they all fit on my IsoBlue rack system and looks quite nice. I moved the XPS-DR from the NDX2 to the nDAC, as it seems that is the consensus here and the way to go. So far I cannot report anything substantial, as I am just getting a feel of it, but I do see the allure here.

6 Likes

Stir gently and run a bunch of music through it…at some point you should get surprised and then it will happen more and more often. At least thats what has happened for me.

1 Like

Will be very interested in your findings on that 6 box setup!

We’re heading to NAC252/NAP250DR/NDX5-XS2/XPS-DR/nDAC/SuperCap. Can’t justify the NDX2 expense really just for a screen, so will likely settle for ND5-XS2 as transport. However, Lumin have released the new Mini U2 so that might be an option for a streaming transport.

1 Like

I would not blame you in the least; at least not with a DAC like the Naim in the mix. I had the ND5XS2 and paired it with a Chord Qutest and it was a memorable combination. I got a good deal on the NDX2, so jumped on it some months back.

Thank you. I have been doing that, just streaming Internet radio through it…some classic rock, techno—you name it. So far I can surmise that your description is what I am hoping for. The Chord DAC I owned was mesmerizing in how dimensional and airy tracks could sound. I know the nDAC doesn’t likely possess that kind of presentation, but that’s not really what I’m after anymore. I appreciate your input here.

3 Likes

Try some spotify with the HQ setting…also if you have Blu-Ray send the audio to the nDAC and on some movies its wow! Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind.

The nDAC can sift out poorly constructed and poor quality music, and that becomes apparent when you hear something REAL good…from them on crappier songs that aren’t well put together don’t sound as good IMO.

It reminds me of listening to a Vinyl greatest hits album and each song has different quality, and some are great while others are crappy on the same side of the same record.

1 Like

This feels very weird. NDX5 and nDAC … to many boxes. The nDac is outdated. I wouldn’t take it for free. If you really want to go the naim way, why not take a NDX2. But I’ll actually choose a different player with high performing, modern dac. For example the MATRIX ELEMENT X has a stellar performance.

So: NAC252/NAP250DR/PS (all naim frontend) + Streamer/Dac (all in one box)

For me, system automation provided by the Naim streamers made non-Naim alternatives unappealing despite other advantages.

The Naim app enables my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook M1 to control the NDX-FM, which controls the Naim DAC, NAC Volume and Source, and CD5XS or 555. Only my NAT05XS gets no benefit from SA.

Were I not committed to keeping Naim amps forever in all three of my systems, the other options would be more interesting to me.

Nick

2 Likes

I certainly see your point, but I think many feel that even with an NDX2 (which I have), paired with an nDAC and PS, it takes it up to an even higher level of performance. I’m not certain I’d say it is outdated, though newer technologies and implementations certainly have moved on. I, personally, do not mind having six boxes; it doesn’t concern me in the least, though I know many here are of the opposite camp. I have six shelves, so I utilize them. That’s really about it.

I am personally still assessing what the NDX2 and nDAC/XPS-DR pairing is doing, but so far I really like what I am hearing. It’s just too early to get a good feel of the good and bad. I think it is safe to say that the benefits versus just the NDX2/XPS-DR is noticeable on most recordings I’ve sat down and listened to. It is a very eye-opening and ‘believable’ kind of presentation. Since I added the nDAC, I will have to do some readjusting of my bass management, but off the start I am glad I gave it a go.

10 Likes

Yep. I understand. Enjoy trying stuff out.

1 Like

The NDAC was one of Naim’s officially recommended upgrades for the NDX as an alternative to adding a PSU. It would have been my choice if I was prepared to put up with the extra boxes, and it would with the NDX2 as well, although I ended up choosing a different upgrade route.

Other brands have adopted new DAC technologies, but in the Naim world where TI DACs are still used, the NDAC is arguably at a higher level than the NDX2 as it uses dual PCM1704K DAC chips in common with the NDS and ND555, albeit that these have arguably more sophisticated implementations as Naim developed them over time.

1 Like

Yes, excellent explanation @ChrisSU. I knew within Naim it shared the same chipset (dual) as those streamers. Now, though I would love to pair the nDAC with a 555PS, that just will never be in the cards, so a lowly XPS-DR will have to suffice.