Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Mark Grants HDX1 BNC to BNC is a great cable for the money

3 Likes

Or one from Gotham Audio — @Simon-in-Suffolk, I think, spoke highly of their coax cable. Lots of choice out there without the need to spend big monies on a digital cable…

2 Likes

:+1:

Wisdom of the Naim crowd! Thanks folks.

1 Like

I also have a Qutest on loan from my dealer at the moment hooked up to my NDX. Probably a dumb question - does it make a difference to disable the internal dac? I’ve currently plugged the Qutest into a separate input on the preamp to compare between the two. At the moment the difference between the two DACs is surprisingly small!

What cable are you using digital out to the Qutest.

It should sound clearly different to the NDX dac.

This sounds more like its coming from someone who is an “aquirer” more than someone who is trying to find the best sound…how can a good sound that you like become “outdated.”

What does “high performing, modern dac” mean exactly?

Maybe nDAC isn’t cool enough anymore…and since something newer exists clearly it must sound horrible…

5 Likes

It sounds great, I had one, but things move on technology wise and sadly no usb on it.

1 Like

You know how people were going to work in the last 10 years working on new products. Maybe small percentage of them actually managed to create some minimally better performing things. Then throwing those new better things together in a new dac product thingy, that may produce something that is slightly different or even better.

I mean I totally like the old Testarossa, but new Aventador is better in every measurable aspect.

…But you would take one for free right…?:eyes:🫢

…but they’re a right buqqer when you want to get out:

And yes, the title/caption is wrong.

7 Likes

Too funny!!!

1 Like

That’s how I get out of my Audi A4 :joy:

2 Likes

This is beside the point.

If one parked one’s Triumph Spitfire (Mk.4 1500, in our case) too close to a high kerb (as we often did), then the performance of “getting out” bore a marked similarity!

As I’m now officially an “old buqqer”, I find getting out of the A6 to be a doddle; however, my wife’s TT Quattro Mk.1 is a different matter!

Obviously, you’ve never tried getting out of a low slung sports car.

So you really don’t get it?

in my opinion I find the dc1 perfect for dac but in very general line hiline give doesn’t interface well with dac because both have the same sound imprint, so the result is a sound too much open and transparent (cold). I find instead enlightening your suggestion on the powerline connected to dac , before I had it on the 555ps and it had almost no effect, I moved it to dac and it gives harmonics and weight to the sound, very recommended also in my opinion. Dac alone is good, with xps is better but improvement is not proportional to the expense, with 555 (not dr) is fantastic.

How do you disable the internal DAC?

Hello again. BNC cable came in today, so I got to hook up the Qutest and Sbooster. All seems well except when I change the output in the Naim app to BNC. No sound at all except for a slight hum. When I put it on DIN output or DIN/RCA output I hear music again, but that is then the internal DAC of the ND5XS2? See the pictures…this is done correctly am I right? Qutest is only linked to ND5XS2 and tv via toslink. No link with my ethernet switch or SN2. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.