Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

You need to connect the analogue outputs from the Qutest to your amp in place of the analogue output from the ND5XS2.

Yes, and your wifi aerials would be best pointing upwards.

Or just removed. It’s connected via Ethernet so they’re not needed. Same with the Bluetooth one too if that functionality is not used.

2 Likes

I do not use those so best to remove them?

For some reason I thought the Naim app is communicating via wifi to the streamer.

Okay… but I use a DIN cable between SN2 and ND5XS2. Does this mean I need to remove that and get an RCA cable to put between SN2 and Qutest? Sorry if I come over as very blonde…:wink:

Yes. You need either an 2xRCA to DIN or 2xRCA to 2xRCA cable to connect the Qutest to the SN2 :+1:

I imagine the ndx plus its internal dac feeds the sn2 via the din. When you use the external dac, the ndx feeds a signal to the qutest which does its dac bit and then needs to feed that signal on to the sn2. The rca out needs to go to a separate din input on the sn2.

Not directly to the streamer but via your wireless router. The network player communicates with the router, either by Ethernet or Wi-Fi (depending on whether it’s hardwired or running wireless)

Ah good to know, I’m wired in so no need to for the antenna it looks like.

Yep. The player disables the wireless card when using Ethernet, so no need for the antennas.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve had it in there since I bought it. lol

1 Like

Thanks but not fully sure what you mean with a cable from RCA of the Qutest into a separate DIN into SN2… i need to replace a cable, not add another one, right? Just like the other post…just 1 cable from Qutest to SN2 and none from ND5XS2 to SN2.

Hi Jan - when you are just using the ND5XS2 to SN2 you are connecting them via a DIN>DIN cable. The ND5XS2 is internally taking the digital signal from the streaming board and passing it to its DAC. The resulting analogue signal comes out of the DIN (or RCA) sockets and then off to your SN2.

With the Qutest is in the chain, this takes over the DAC duties. The digital signal from the digital output of the ND5XS2 is converted to analogue by the Qutest. You need to take the analogue output from the Qutest to your SN2. You could do this with an RCA>DIN cable connected to the socket on the SN2 you originally had the ND5XS2 connected to.

You no longer need the DIN>DIN cable between your ND5XS2 and SN2.

1 Like

My apologies. You need a cable from the rca output on the qutest to go in to a suitable input on the sn2 and then select that input. The sn2 has the choice of using either a din or rca input. The signal path is then ndx to qutest to sn2.

1 Like

This is - even for me :slight_smile: - a crystal clear and complete answer. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Just give it a few months before you add an MScaler into the mix few more wires involved :wink:

3 Likes

:smiley: no!

3 Likes

Just to add, once you have it up and running then you could run the TV optical connection via the ND5XS2 rather than the Qutest. You can then control input switching via the app rather than pressing the input button on the Qutest.

Okay thanks James. Seems a bit more user friendly indeed.

Now the only thing I need to do is sell a cable and buy a cable.

1 Like