Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Interesting, but my experience is slightly different.

My route into local streaming was via a headless MacMini running iTunes, then using the optical out from the MacMini to nDAC/XPSDR. I used a quality optical cable (Wireworld SuperNova 7, IIRC). One of the comparisons I made was between a CD played on my CD5XS used as transport via DC1 into the nDAC vs ripping the CD into iTunes and playing the rip. I found the rip sounded just a bit better than playing the CD. The difference was not huge, but it was consistent.

A good usb to spdif converter would likely have sounded even better, but I moved on to a 272. However, I did not feel the SQ even using the optical cable let the side down compared with other sources.

Roger

From TV to nDAC? I’ll have to look into this and what about running it inside walls and interference? I remember someone told me they like optical because its elecrically decoupled.

I’m sure there are better ways to feed the nDAC, but this was the easiest, simplest way for me to do what I needed over great distance.

If there is a better way then I’ll certainly try it, maybe calling optical “perfection” was a mistake. :slight_smile:

What Coaxial cables do you use? There is a coax in but not sure about coax out of TV…also I have the Oppo and probably will add a PC as well.

From a TV you’re best using optical. Coaxial can create issues here as TVs can be really noisy with floating currents looking for earth paths.

2 Likes

Inspired by this thread a preloved ND5XS2 will soon join my nDAC/555PS connected via BNC-BNC DC1.

I have up until now streamed from my MacBook Pro (sounds fantastic) to the NDAC/555PS via USB/HiFace2.

Should be very interesting to hear the additional uplift in SQ :blush:

8 Likes

Congrats! I look forward to reading your results. The ND5XS2 just makes life much easier (IMHO). You get all the latest streaming which you can do via a MacBook but it’s much simplified with the streamer.

1 Like

I think you’re in for a treat the ND5XS2 is a great bit of kit, I use one standalone into a Nait 2 the other feeding a Chord MScaler / Dave on the main rig.

3 Likes

This is a tough song to handle, but handled well with the nDAC…this type of song can easily turn into silvery white noise tin foil…lots of high and mid range which can cause distortion on lesser systems.

Still not a warm song on the nDAC but on headphones or in a car this is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

My guess is a really expensive power supply would help. :smiley:

1 Like

I found I didn’t hear an uplift in SQ compared with my MacBook, although the user interface will be much better (unless you use Roon like me, in which case the Roon app controls the MacBook).

Much more effective (I found) was to buy a reclocker, (I’m using the Mutec MC USB but Innuos Phoenix is similar but pricier) which when used with the MacBook really outperformed what the ND5XS2 can do. More wires, though. I couldn’t believe the improvement a quality standalone reclocker makes.

The reason I know this is because I’ve tried these exact combinations into an nDac (but I didn’t have a 555). But aesthetically the ND5 is much nicer

1 Like

Interesting observation regarding McBook plus reclocking device into nDac compared to ND5 XS2.

That is exactly the comparison I am doing right now. The MTech2 device work very well with McBook and nDac and the SQ is in my opinion very, very good.

Will come back soon with my observations comparing the two alternatives (connected to nDac/555PS).

4 Likes

Is that reclocking comparable to what the DAC-V1 does via its USB input?

That USB board being an officially licensed implementation of the Audiophilleo circuit if I remember correctly, perhaps @Richard.Dane kan chime in here.

Sounded wonderful to me at the time, with a Macbook Pro running Audirvana and Amarra (very different). And a humble Chord C-USB cable to the DAC-V1 then into the Nait 2.

iFi Zen has USB-out, so does the latest Bluesound Node (will be switched on soon via firmware update), have been thinking recently if all that might also put the DAC-V1 in the spotlight again here.

2 Likes

Yes, the USB input on the DAC-V1 was an Audiophilleo solution.

1 Like

Interesting why does it perform better

Maybe because there’s no losses in an electric connection ?

I guess because of bandwidth and you avoid the double conversion of electrical signals to light signals and vice versa. There are doubtless other reasons too - remember that Toslink was designed to be very inexpensive to implement.

Hi Andersl, have you had a listen

Had you noticed this …

Looks like something is happening.
Hope that helps for now?

KR
R

p.s. I’m sure several of us are also waiting patiently for feedback :wink:

nDAC has improved again, its much more smooth and silky…more homogenous.

This blew me away about halfway through

Here’s another one from the same movie series…

Yes, the Ndac is a great piece of kit, particularly with a 555 nonDR in my view. I have mainly used it with the HDX via DC1 interconnect and also with USB stick in rear input. At today’s prices even better!

Just added a preowned Hiline and it’s very substantial uplift.

4 Likes

Surprisingly a Powerline also is a nice uplift.

5 Likes