QNAP NAS waking up too often

Why?

Google is your friend here.

2 Likes

The QNAP is just a small form-factor computer running Linux, there’s no harm with a shutdown and startup on a daily basis.
The hard drive(s) can be set to spin down after a set period of time assuming it/they are not SSDs where there would be no need.

My QNAP is an economy spec TS128A and I’ve not seen any ‘sleep’ option, mine just runs minimal apps and the HDD spins down after 30 mins. The unit shuts down overnight and powers up the next day, this means it’s off for 14 hours per day saving 400+ hours per month of electricity.

My PC that runs Roon also powers off overnight and I use a WOL app to start it up to save calories from having to walk upstairs. :slightly_smiling_face:

Strictly speaking ‘off’ in these circumstances is a very lower power mode.

1 Like

By design. See hardware - Should servers be turned off at night? - Server Fault

Maybe in some applications, a NAS is overkill for music storage / serving. I bought a Ready NAS NV+ when I first started streaming but found that for most of the time, it would be just idling away as I’d only really need it for 2 or 3 hrs each evening when I wanted to listen to music. As it seemed wasteful, I just set it to shut down at 11pm and start up again when I’d be home from work.

Moving to Roon 5 years or so back, means all my ripped music is stored on the internal music store (SSD drive) of the Nucleus which sits silently in my home office, drawing minimal power. The NAS still gets used as a central music store when I rip CDs before copying them to the Nucleus (and my other backup drives), otherwise it’s off. Our Sonos system uses the music store in the Nucleus too.

It doesn’t need to be on 24/7, no damage will occur by having it on for fewer hours per day using a scheduled power profile.

2 Likes

It’s a very expensive solution to save a few pounds on electricity though. There’s the Nucleus, the SSD and then the annual subscription, all to save a few quid on power, and it’s not like it gives a sound quality improvement.

2 Likes

I have a QNAP HS-210 (FanLess) with 2 SDD.
I schedule a power on at 8AM and a power off at 11PM.
I use it only for backup, minim app (music server), twonky app (video server)
it works like a charm :wink:
never have a pb of waking up

The electricity saving was just an additional benefit. I’d just put your NAS on a timed schedule and not worry about it too much.

A 10 watt continuous saving equates to £30 a year, or a new high performance 4TB drive every 2-3 years, or a new CD every 3 months. Worth it in my book.

I don’t see a problem with shutting down. Of course we are all Naim Lovers, and perhaps the “leave it on 24x7” ethos means we are more concerned with not shutting down, but remember how many of us can say they left their Desktop, and HDD Laptops on 24x7. Of course in the Windows 95 and before days, a PC wasn’t much use without a reboot every day or so, but I for one have never had a HDD issue at home or work (other than several years ago when Seagate released that faulty range of 1TB Disk Drives).

Five years on and i have had no problems thus far, mine is manually shut down after every session, it’s just a habit that i’ve gotten myself into. I use my NAS for music only, nothing else. :crossed_fingers:

P.S. i’m totally clueless with computers so am out of my depth here.
This is what’s running on mine. I have no clue what any of it means.

shutting down during our sleeping time is a good benefit, not for our NAS, but for our planet :wink:

it is not the action of one person but the action of all that will do good to the earth.

This has been my understanding as well, you’re doing more damage powering up and down than just leaving it on. And these things are efficient enough the electricity savings is negligible.

2 Likes

Not while china opens 2 coal power stations a month, but thats for another time, cheers

I’ve had this Nas for 12 years.
Didn’t realise there were vent holes in the base.

2 Likes

:smile: I recall there was an Inland Revenue site that regularly called us out to an over heating server, which was always down to an extraordinarily amount of fluff in the vents. It was only after a few visits we found out that a blind lady used to work there, and her Labrador would curl up next to the server for heat.

4 Likes

That’s a lovely little anecdote.

That might be your use case but it’s not mine. There are a number of reasons why I run mine 24/7

Well if you are running other stuff on it that needs to be 24/7 then that’s fine too.

I’m back home on dry land now.

You can disable/remove the following, maybe disable first as it’s easier to re-enable then re-install. I have this group removed on mine.

Download Station
Multimedia Console
QuFTP Service
Qboost
Qsync Central - I doubt you are suncing files between the NAS and another device like a computer?
SSD Profiling Tool

I’m pretty sure you won’t be using anything that requires Java so you can try stopping JRE which is the Java Runtime Environment and making sure that everything is still OK. Minimserver would need this but as you are using Asset which doesn’t I think you will be OK.

You will then be left with some fundamental QNAP applications that cannot be removed. You need HBS Hybrid Backup Sync to backup to our external hard disk so keep that.

3 Likes