RCA to DIN Connection

Read previous posts. :roll_eyes:

As in was it an instant A/B comparison? How long spent with each interconnect before swapping.

Also ‘blew it out of the water’ isn’t a description of the sound. It’s your impression of the result.

Worked for me.
How long does it take.?
If you read all the posts you wouldn’t be asking these questions.
Nonsense argument.

I have and still my questions stand. You’re too quick to be rude and can’t address simple questions. Or perhaps it’s too difficult for you to type out an answer or more importantly you cannot articulate your findings

1 Like

The comparison is described in great depth you’ll have to join some posts together.
Not trying to be rude but just deflecting your tone.
This link might help.

Succeeding, though…

3 Likes

Richard was not referring to the guy in the video. :+1:

1 Like

They are the same brand as the current plugs - Preh.

Regards
NS.

In that case it was a cheap shot.!

Yes I had an issue with that FAQ… when I read it several years ago … I don’t recognise some of the info it describes, it would be great to talk to the person who wrote to understand what they were wanting to get at… one of the reasons why I specifically stated the audio connections are not transmission lines…
Electrical signals reflect when they meet an impedance discontinuity. For reflections to be meaningful the output impedance of the source and cable and input to the NAC would need to be all the same impedance (as a transmission line) and then a connection impedance discontinuty would indeed be a point source of reflections… however the impedances here just are not managed that way… so reflection (aka signal/power loss at a given frequency ) will be occurring at multiple points between source and NAC.

2 Likes

Lol! You should clearly be a paid Naim advisor, here is me using their din plugs and therefore apparently hearing sub standard sq!!

IIRC, it came from Julian.

1 Like

Sure thank you. And what is the particular socket model on the Naim NDAC and how should it be configured/wired please?

Yes I remember you stating that… but sadly we will never know what he was wanting to get across… as it stands it makes no technical sense in a meaningful applied way… Naim does not use transmission lines between source and NAC (self evidently), and the power transfer loss is made up by the gain of the NAC.

1 Like

It will be a 180 degree DIN5. As for the wiring, the pins will be just like any other Source (play) DIN. Beyond that, we’re straying into DIY and hence beyond the App of the forum.

1 Like

@JonnySidemouth
Nothing personal your ears your choice I just answered a question asking for opinions.
People asking questions should be careful what they wish for the truth is out there. :+1:t2:

I would guess he was trying to find technical reasons to explain why he invariably found the DIN connection to sound better than RCA Phonos; the mismatch of impedance between plug and socket in the RCA against the matched impedance of the DIN socket and plug, and the multiple contacts over a relatively large of the area of metal in the RCA creating “eddy currents” against the small focussed contact area of the DIN were two such possibilities. And of course the advantage of a single ground connection of the DIN shared between both channels. It’s interesting that in more recent times RCA plugs like the Eichmann and the WBT Next Gen have sought to improve on the first two areas, and having compared I did and they sounded better than standard types.

Agh… please don’t confuse my observations with suggesting DIN is inferior to RCA. For the reasons I say above… DIN can be SQ advantageous over RCA by reducing the number of contacts and providing a common ground between channels. This is very advantageous in reducing audio low level noise… but it’s nothing to do with CI.

1 Like

Sure but that isn’t the case is it… just compare the output and input impedances of Naim sources and NACs… the input impedance on the 552 is 47 kohms for example. For no reflections, the output impedance of the source, the connectors and cable would all need to be 47 kohms. However if reflections were to occur (which they do in practice) the interconnect would need to be 2.5 km long to cause max attenuation of a 20 kHz signal through reflections. Lower frequencies would require even longer interconnects…which I suggest with an interconnect of a metre or two at most this becomes meaningless.

So if we ignore reflections and focus on efficiency (power transfer) instead then we can use Impedance bridging, the source output, plug/connectors, lead and connector plug should represent a low reasonably consistent impedance into the very much higher source input impedance (ie the 47kOhm of the NAC). With impedance bridging this low inpedance can be arbitrary as long as it’s very much less than the 47kOhm… and I believe this is what Naim adopts.

But I do agree with the FAQ on the advantages of DIN with signal grounding :grinning:

1 Like

So I believe this is the configuration on Naim source sockets. Is this correct?