Real use case on speaker cable damaging naim amp?

What a silly topic.

Just use NACA5, as advised, then all will be well. Carry on listening to the music.

Or use something inappropriate, and have a Big Bang moment.

Your choice!

1 Like

I’m not sure your question has been answered, I too wonder why naim spec 3.5m min cable and what the effect of using shorter might be. Obviously it would be better to stick to naim recommendations but does anyone understand why and what the effects of using out of spec cable might be?

naca5 is not good enough :wink:

2 Likes

Well there is the issue of Naca’s lack of flexibility. I think there is now general acceptance that other brands can safely be used with classic amps e.g Chord but as said before seek the advice of a Naim dealer.

This might help.

2 Likes

Precisely. That is how all Naim power amps are designed - to use the speaker cables to provide the required loading - rather than have extra components within the amp (as most manufacturers do).

IMO, its an elegant and effective solution.
But… if you don’t agree & think its stupid… then… clearly …
YMMV… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I have used NAC A4 and NAC A5 with all my Naim amps.
Maybe I am stupid then… :crazy_face:

(This thread is obviously this weeks version… lols)

1 Like

Okay Superlumina it obviously is for you then😉

1 Like

Plenty of compatible cables. Naim support will even tell you if an interesting cable is safe to use.

But Naim have had damaged amps back that went into oscillation after use with some cables such as very high capacitance litz designs.

2 Likes

But… but… but… Its sooo much more fun to just rant about it and complain how stoopid it is… :crazy_face: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

How would a litz design cable geometry look like that could potentially be dangerous causing high C? It’s not like this I assume (slow twist as Chord music)

Hahaha. The things on the forum that keep people awake at night never ceases to amaze me.

3 Likes

Guess the only one ranting here is you? :wink:

Hardly. I was trying my best to help and explain.
But… you do not seem to be either listening or understanding perhaps…

YMMV, as always.

Trying To Be Agreeable

PS. If you (as the OP) really don’t like what I have posted - please Flag it to our Moderators.

That configuration isn’t strictly litz. The conductors in the braid might be but that is just twisted pairing. Which can reduce common mode noise.

The configuration of each pole’s conductors direct affects inductance and capacitance. A parallel un woven pair will have lower capacitance and inductance relative to the spacing of the poles. With litz the opposite is true. Which isn’t bad at all. Just not compatible.

2 Likes

Why on earth , other than for stirring up a fight, are you pursuing this. The advice couldn’t be clearer.

3 Likes

Time for :popcorn:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Not looking for advice as made clear at least 2 times. Looking for reports from users that have used cable x that caused their naim classic amp to break.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you have fitted or about to fit new cable and wish to know if you are doing damage?

1 Like

This is bad for Naim amps.

2 Likes