Recommend your favourite Record & CD Stores

And for some feedback. Brighton did not disapoint. Rare, new, crates, the 7 or so shops had it all. I’ll do the remaining couple tomorrow. Prices were a lottery too.
But what city has this amount of vinyl for sale!

3 Likes

I used to work dangerously close to Phonica.

2 Likes

Buscemi Dischi in Milan.

6 Likes

The owner has his finger on the pulse.

Recently visited Records & Relics in Blackpool (and forgot to post it here). Mainly secondhand vinyl, with a few choice new albums in amongst the used discs. A little gem of a shop with a tremendous range of second hand records, including dedicated racks for Soul & Motown, Jazz, Blues and Soundtracks, as well as the usual Rock & Pop.

4 Likes

Andy’s Records, Aberystwyth. I’d like to be able to recommend this shop, as it looked rather interesting from peering in through the window… but, alas, it was closed when I was there yesterday. Frustrating, but one of those things. Took child No1 to an Aberystwyth University open day, and times just didn’t sync to be able to pop in and browse the racks. Another time Andy’s records.

2 Likes

At my dad’s house found this Virgin carrier bag for the original Birmingham store. Where I spent almost all my meagre Saturday job wages. With it an album that might have been in the bag in 1972.

8 Likes

what a lovely find

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Vinyl Cafe - Cardigan / Aberteifi. I found this little gem of a record store / bar / live venue last week when on holiday. Housed in the basement under a cafe (nice food), just opposite the castle. I visited three times to check out new stock in the ‘just in box’ and got chatting to the owner - a lovely chap, originally from London who decided to settle after falling in love with the area. A musician who performs regularly in his basement venue and also hosts live events for other acts too, the record store a side addition to the gig venue. All records are well presented, nothing above VG+ / EX, and all discs have been cleaned and are re-sleeved with a poly liner as well. I bought ten LPs, mainly improving on the condition of a few of my collection stalwarts. Opening hours are ‘leisurely’, but any time after 11am, but closed on Wednesday. Highly recommended if in the area.

5 Likes

Southport. New and s/h vinyl & CDs. Friendly owner. Browsing’s easy - can’t do with overstocked racks - and sensible s/h prices. 3 hours free parking on the sea front cinema complex.

5 Likes

Excellent - that’s only an hour from me so may pop over for a look.

Make sure to check he’s open before you set off. He only opens back end of the week & he’s prone to take extra days off. I think you’ll enjoy a visit. Hope so.

1 Like

Ah, that’s great - thanks for the extra info. That sounds similar to “Andy’s Records” opening hours in Aberystwyth then! I’ve visited the town twice in the last year and on both occasions, the shop was supposed to be open, but a sign in the window said otherwise!

If he says he’s open he’s always been there :smiley:

There are a couple of good ones in Whitstable (Kent)

As others have commented, Brighton has more record shops than a city of its size warrants. My favourite is probably Reckless Records, who always have interesting things to buy. I try to avoid going in too often, as my wallet can’t take the pounding that it always gets in there!

Yes, I was a student in Brighton and spent far too much time and money in those record shops!

I find that ordering from Amazon reduces my outlay on LPs, as I go onto the site, order what I want, and get off quickly.

I’m expecting Carlos Kleiber’s Beethoven Seventh to come by post today, in its new ‘Original Source’ incarnation from DGG.

I wonder how many times I have bought that recording? Probably more than five times, less than ten!