Replacement for Titan 808s

No i didn’t as dealer advised they wouldn’t work as they should in my situation, but they would be far to big for my room anyway, the slim design of the fact 12’s help big time in my room

I have upgraded through both the Naim and PMC ranges. I first acquired the Fact 12’s when I was running a 552/200 combo. The 200 really was not up to the task of driving the Fact 12s with authority.
I upgraded to a 300DR and that was a big step up in sound. The Fact 12s really came alive and I could have lived with that combo going forward. Then my dealer mentioned he had a used 500DR and offered a great deal.
The 500DR upgrade was recent and has been great.

1 Like

I have Fact 8s and I think they are excellent. I recently compared them with the Wilson TuneTots. As good as they are (£11k), they are not a patch on the Fact 8s and, from my limited listening experience with the Fact 12s I think the latter would be greatly superior to any stand mount. The Wilson Sasha, which are in the same price bracket as the 808s, are probably worth a listen - if you like their appearance.

1 Like

Thank you. 250DR may hold its own but not ideal to punch the 12’s to fullest, but will give me room to upgrade later to 300. I will have to ponder this one as my 25.26 seem to match really well with my 282/250. Tough decision I suppose. Money may be better spent getting a superline to replace my prefix on lp12/Aro.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

The fact’s do like a more powerful amp, as they are a bit hard to drive.
A 250 will obviously run them, but not going to get the best from them i am sorry to say.
I did run mine with a 300dr for a while, but even this is probably the lowest you want to go.
I have also heard them being powered by a pair of big mono blocks and they just sounded sublime, also a fantastic source i have to say.

Innocent_Bystander

Mar '20

2 weeks since last summary, and if I have read right only 4 additions. Nevertheless time for an update:

73 responses.
Naim is still most popular brand followed now by Kudos displacing B&W. The two most popular speakers are Titan 808, with 7 users, followed by Naim NBL with 6 users, though NBL is matched by B&W 802 if you lump all the variants together.

As before a number in parentheses after the speaker is the number of users if more than one:
B&W 802 D
B&W 802 D2 (3)
B&W 802 D3 (2)
B&W 803 D3 (2)
B&W 804 D2
B&W 804 D3
Dynaudio S5.4
Focal 1007 Be
Focal 1028 Be
Focal Maestro Utopia
Focal Supra 2
Gauder Acoustik Berlina 7 Diamond Mk 2
Harbeth 40.2 (2)
Kudos Titan 606
Kudos Titan 808 (7)
Kudos Titan 88 (3)
Linn Isobaric
Magico S3 MkII
Mission 70
Monitor Audio Studio 60
Naim DBL (3)
Naim DBL (Active)
Naim NBL (6)
Naim Ovator 600 (2)
Naim Ovator 800
Naim SBL
Naim SL2 (4)
Neat MF9
Neat Ultimatum MF7
Neat XL6
PMC 20.21 + Velodyne DD10 sub
PMC Fact 12 (3)
PMC IB2 se
PMC MB2
PMC Twentyfive.26
Proac K6
Proac K6 signature
Shahinian Diapason
Shahinian Obelisk (2)
Sonus Faber Amati Futura
Spendor Classic 200
Totem Mani 2
Verity Audio Sarrastros II
Vivid Audio Giya G3
Wilson DAW

I had the PMC 20.26 before the Fact 12. If you like your 26s, then you will really enjoy the upgrade to the Fact 12s. My advice, if I had to do it again, get a used pair of Fact 12s and wait for a used 300DR/500DR to complete the upgrade.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Magicos, but outside of the US they are rather expensive. Expensive here within the States too.

If you have a chance to listen, I’d listen to the A5 model. $21,800 here in the States presently.

Out of interest, and I don’t disbelieve, but why is it the Fact 12’s require so much amp to get the best from them.
Obviously specs don’t tell the whole story but they say they are a nominal 8 ohm load.

Best

Popeye

I might have missed something, but I believe they don’t.

While their sensitivity is pretty low, their impedance curve is rather nice.

Therefore, the Fact 12’s should be an easy load.

Their average impedance is around 6 Ohms and never drops under 4.8 Ohms !

3 Likes

This from the their website on specs. Doesn’t show the detail you post however.

1 Like

The information I posted comes from an HiFi Critic lab report.

1 Like

Interesting then why most would have the opinion that they require a lot of amp to get them singing as they should and a 300 being minimum but a 500 is best?

1 Like

Hi there,

I am also looking for more compact and less tall floorspeakers.

The Neat Iota Xplorer look quite interesting and were designed to blend in size-wise. I have not yet heard them, but would be great with more choices like them. For me they would be a downgrade w the sound but upgrade with peace at home so will test

Br Lars

Indeed :thinking:

Of course, the better the amp the better the control over the speakers.

Having used both the 300DR and 500DR with rather small speakers, the difference was quite astonishing.

Amps are not just about power, especially through Naim’s offering. There is a lot more to it.

That said, ported speakers, wouldn’t be my first choice in a small room.

2 Likes

I’ll be the Shahinian bore then…
Marmite speakers and most at home on Classical, Jazz, acoustic music if that suits your tastes.
I use Obelisks. Short, relatively inconspicuous and tend to get only positive comments from aesthetes. Also have the advantage of being on castors rather than spikes (because the designer prefers the sound) which means they can be wheeled out to optimum listening position for serious listening or pushed back against the wall the rest of the time. They even sound pretty good back against the wall. Might be worth a try

6 Likes

It’s not that cold KJC I know we are in the UK but like you we are in the south! :joy:

Sorry, an old pic. In fact, it’s from my last house in Devon (we are currently in East Sussex and about to move once again, this time to Somerset!) but I thought this pic helped illustrate the point that they are quite decor acceptable. I’ve long been thinking about the T808’s and remember measuring how they’d fit into that room. If the OP is still reading, the 808’s would be topping out in line with the 5th CD shelf up vs the 2nd shelf for the Obelisks. A fair bit more acceptable ?

ProAc D20R, there some one seakayer that has D30RS, at least one person with Tabblets at least one set of K6

@pumpexch still wonder have you asked Mrs. Pumpexch her opinion? No point in throwing lots of suggestions out if we’re all missing the mark. It obvious she doesn’t want big boxes. So Fact 12, big ProAc’s, big B&W’s Big Magicos, most speakers are big boxes. Would she dig Maggie’s? Kef Blade 2, YG Acoustics are interesting, Vivid Audio, Wilson’s can be painted any color and blend right in. Well good luck. :+1: