Roksan to Linn via VPI & MoFi decks

Yay… Good Result… Enjoy… :sunglasses:

PS. Good move on the arm. The Linn Akito is presumably a lot newer, than the Basik was…?

Yes, the arm is newer.

Any advice on a replacement for the standard felt mat that it came with? It’s annoyingly flimsy.

1 Like

Hi,
Very pleased to hear it. I can see that staying with your existing phonostage and Cadenza gives you a constant, so that the change is just the deck and the arm. Hopefully, you have that Linn swing! And years of pleasure.

Chris

1 Like

Thats part of the Linn LP12 Experience (c)… Just live with it… I have, since 1981… :crazy_face:

What is the power supply - looks like a Valhalla switch…?

Nice looking plinth, there too… You know that Flutes now cost extra…???

2 Likes

Interesting Charles. If I may say so you do seem to have made a number of sideways moves.
You didnt mention budget but why not audition a new Linn Majik which will be current spec (older LP12’s sound very different) and a sound basis to go forward, upgrade and trouble your bank acount should you wish.
For reasons already put forward I would be very cautious buying an early model LP12 and although they can be upgraded to current spec this pretty much involves replacing all the major components which is likely going to cost you more in the long run. Personally (and as someone else has mentioned forum discussions can lead to further confusion and bad decisions, everyone with the best intention thinks there way is the right way) I would try to go for a brand new Majik.
:heart:

1 Like

If you like the LP12 you may find like many owners a special emotional relationship develops with it as well. I’ve had my triggers broom new since the early nineties and gone through many upgrades now getting close to top Klimax spec, if I was to change it for a pre owned one of the same spec (especially of uncertain history) it just wouldnt be the same.

1 Like

Only if you want to or feel the need, it’s a common critique by cynical Linn naysayers but it’s not compulsory. Linn I think are still one of the few, if not the only TT that can be almost infinitely upgraded rather than having to buy another “better” TT if and when the itch needs scratching

1 Like

The only problem with your sage advice is that he’s already bought the one you are advising him not to buy…

1 Like

There was no advice from me “not to buy it” so no need for the sarky intervention (typical of forums which yourself alluded to) :thinking:

@Charles64 I didnt realise you have bought the LP12, I hope you enjoy it happy listening.

I’ll get my coat!

1 Like

Upgrades to an LP12 - of whatever age - are voluntary. You do not ‘have’ to do them. No more than you ‘have’ to upgrade your Naim gear.

The problem is one of temptation - and the self control needed to resist this - or at least keep in manageable.

A near no-existent or very limited budget is one solution. Which has worked for me.

4 Likes

You’ve got a cracking system, carefully thought out.

I can follow your thinking behind it .

Totally.

To adapt Robert Burns, A Linn’s a Linn for A’ That

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Problem for me was serving 10 years for holding up a Post Office to get the money to upgrade!

1 Like

Trying to understand the various Linn Basik arms, resulted in me finding this ‘history’, which seems (to me… YMMV, etc) to be quite useful & informative. You can - now understand (assuming you read it… big ask, there…) what LV-V actually meant - and LV-X - and I guess LV-II, but only by inference.

Enjoy…

Unofficial history of Linn’s use of the name ‘Basik’ (Long) -

Only 10 years…?

I have been in servitude to Linn since 1981… Thats nearly 41years now… :crazy_face:

1 Like

No that was just the sentence, I’ve had my triggers broom since the early nineties iirc

1 Like

A mere youngster… :rofl:

1 Like

It wasn’t meant to be sarky in any way, I’m sorry if it came over as such.

When I bought my Planar 10 I did consider a new Linn Magik, but was put off by the horrible arm and the fact it can’t play 45s without manual intervention to fit the 45rpm adapter. So Rega it was.

After a bit of mental backtracking I’m sure it was actually 1990, so yes a relative LP12 yunKster (tried to think of a pun, best I could do)

1 Like

I’m a newborn!

1 Like