Roon 1.8

Do any of you folks know what time is the 1.8 officially released? I assume precise time is based on GMT?

only one more sleep :christmas_tree:

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s going to be a precise time, given we’re advised to update our control apps first. So when I can see the roon update available in the UK Apple App Store, I can update my iPhone and iPad. Then check using the app to see if roon core itself will update, plus same for roon bridge.

What about roon in the streamers, do these ever update? I assume this is similar to roon bridge software but have no idea if this follows any code release/update cycle from roon. [edit] this would be a firmware release from Naim to incorporate an update to the roon raat sdk but doesn’t seem to happen much. Just read on roon labs forum.

Apparently just the app and the Core need to be updated. Roon Ready streamers stay Roon Ready. Over on the Roon Community they are predicting normal Core update release times of around 9am Eastern Standard Time but the app (which has to be installed first) is released internationally by Apple & Co. at different times.

Agree. And bearing in mind what we spend on the hardware and streaming services (not to mention CDs etc) the cost is reasonable. Roon’s algorithms which predict what you don’t know but may like has introduced me to music I wouldn’t have come across without it

2 Likes

To be fair, [What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested](https://community.naimaudio.com, does a pretty good job as well.

1 Like

Depends. You can’t expect the thread to recommend an obscure Austrian 80ies punk band based on having listened to another obscure Austrian band. Not everyone is from the UK or US.

True, but the forum does a good job for free IMO. There are plenty of bands I’ve not been aware of that have given me tangents to go off on.

Well yes it does, but the Roon recommendations can still be useful, is my point.

Anyways, personally I don’t have a problem finding new music, my problem is proper management of the huge number of music I found in the past and am finding continuously. And Roon is the best solution I have found for that

5 Likes

is it happening today guys?

It should for the core, the US east cost guys are in the office now, dunno where Roonlabs is located.
But for the apps, we are at the mercy of Apple/Google, and remember that you should update the apps before the core

1 Like

If you’ve no other way to control the core.
Users with mac or windows remotes as well as iOS and Android need not fret.

.sjb

1 Like

OK :+1: It’s just that this is was Roonlabs specifically said in bold text in email 5

1 Like

I got this in my Windows remote:

Silly question perhaps but what does Roon Essentials do, found it the other day in the iOS App Store?

“Note that this application is only designed to work with Roon Essentials hardwaare such as the ELAC discovery. This application is not compatible with Roon”

From the details page in the Android store. I have no idea what this means but does not seem I’d need it :slight_smile:

1 Like

How odd!

I had no idea that this exists but there is even a dedicated website, roonessentials dot com

1 Like

Do you think I went too far with the specs of my core NUC? :joy: :rofl: I have ripped through half of my CD collection (600 pieces so far) and spent considerable time on metadata edits, but am getting this on the core:

Roon Database & Settings
99% of 227 GB available

Internal Music Storage
4000GB, Samsung SSD 860
96% of 3697 GB available.

Yes…

1 Like