Roon 1.8

To give poor Simon a bit of a breather from his many forum duties: If you search Simon’s username together with the numbers 24 and 32, you will find many posts from him about this :slight_smile:

Some are in this very thread, here and subsequent:

2 Likes

Hi, purely by listening. I can possibly understand why.

I’m asking from the point of view non naim streamers, do you think the same might apply or from your understanding is it to do with Naim architecture?

.sjb

I am not sure it’s an architecture thing per se, possibly more the decimation implementation in the Roon driver or even the SHARC processor.

1 Like

So I’ve finally succumbed to the swoon of Roon.
For me the game changer was the DSP options, especially with headphones and I am particularly enjoying my new Focal Elegias with some EQ, which I couldn’t do before. The improved metadata and information is also a bonus.
If I’m listening to music raw I’m still inclined to use the Naim app because I generally don’t use EQ when playing through my speakers and I don’t need to faff with switching between different sound profiles. This also means I have a different setup for speakers and headphones and just launch the one appropriate to my listening. Nice to have the choice and they both sound great.
Will I keep Roon in the future, probably and I’ve got a year to make a decision. Two weeks wasn’t enough on a trial for me to really relax into it.

1 Like

Just in case you don’t know its 3 clicks, volume / DSP / change preset.

But it’s suppose faff can be relative.

And I highly recommend a little DSP for your room /speaker interaction.

.sjb

3 Likes

I’ve read your posts using convolution filters with interest and I may indeed look at these in the near future. My interest has been piqued by the subtle, yet not insignificant benefits of EQ in headphones, so there is no reason to think it wouldn’t have similar benefits on speakers as well. The problem for me is that my speakers are far from perfectly positioned and I could gain a lot more benefits by placing them more optimally. Unfortunately, domestic constraints mean this is unlikely to happen in the short term, so I’m concentrating my efforts on closed back :headphones:(Focal Elegias) where I have considerable freedom in how I manipulate sound. My Nova is a fantastic bit of kit that ticks many boxes, including WAF, but not that of EQ, so short of selling it and adding in a device capable of equalisation, Roon offers a digital equivalent, so long as I’m competent enough to make sensible adjustments.
Any helpful tips gladly received.

The parametric EQ filters in Roon are easy to use, and I would recommend you use those to make subtle adjustments.

Old hat to most here I suppose, but a friend has been experiencing problems with Roon stopping. It’s running on a high spec’ IMac. I suspect it stops because it’s running at high CPU usage.

The solution apparently is to install Roon server, then reinstall the Remote app rather than run a combined Roon Core / remote. I’ll be tackling this for him later in the week - once I’m sure he’s got a backup done.

They have had some issue with a lot of users and rouge cpu useage on macos.

2 Likes

If playback stops, is he playing music from the iMac or a streaming service like TIDAL? I have sometimes experienced that TIDAL skips all songs as it is suddenly unavailable to Roon. Restarting the Mac resolved the issue in my case. Typically CPU usage on my Mac Mini 2011 is very low, even with volume levelling turned on.

1 Like

He does not use a subscription service. I heard yesterday that the old B&O servers used DLNA (?) which has a habit of forcing particular streams.

It has also been suggested that I try another Roon bridge solution but I don’t see how that would help.

Does anyone know if you can use the 3rd generation Apple TV (the one with the optical output) as a Roon end point? I’m thinking of running one into a DAC and Headphone amp, with the ATV plugged into a network switch.

That will only work with Airplay, as the Apple TV3 is not Roon Ready.

1 Like

If anyone is running roon core on a qnap nas, you might want to check the roon forums. Qnap have identified an exploited security risk on the web interface of roon with such an installation. Apologies if its been posted before, have only just got my forum summary email.

1 Like

I do not know if roon is the cause, but qnap has lately been affected with ransom ware.

Not Roon itself it’s by the the guy who maintains the Nas builds of Roon, they are not official Roon releases. He’s admitted it was something he’s done and is fixing it.

I did not want to post a new thread, but I found this article interesting.

Really strange but there have been several updates to Roon 1.8…I have been working and not listening that critically…just enjoying music…when it really made me stop…and think heah…wow that’s good…has Roon 1.8 been adjusted sonically to me it sounds much better…

2 Likes

The one feature I still hope Roon implement is the ability to stream my library online. When I’m out and about and want to play music on my iPhone, I’m still using an old iTunes library I’ve not updated in over 10 years. I’d be happy if I could access my home library remotely.

(No I don’t subscribe to any streaming services; I suppose I will eventually.)

2 Likes