Roon 2.0

I think thats just the internet speed out in the sticks.

True. And after many arguments about who was going to pay for it…

1 Like

I’m curious as to whether anyone needs to run a VPN for privacy or security purposes these days, given that Qobuz seem to have started blocking access if it detects that you are using one, including through Roon.

What I would like to see is an Apple Watch app that will allow you to download a copy of your own files to the watch. When I go running I use just the watch with a pair of AirPods.

Qobuz doesn’t have an app for the watch so I’m stuck with either manually converting Flac files and transferring them to the watch or (as I’ve done) pay for a separate subscription to Apple Music.

I’ve they provided a Watch app that provided a quick and easy way to transfer your own files to the watch that would be great.

Has anyone tried it with CarPlay yet? Qobuz doesn’t work very well with that either.

THE HORROR!!!

All jokes aside it is also mostly due to me not really needing or wanting the feature. I work from home and when I do need music outside the door I am fine with native streaming and got all my files on my tablet already.

I’m quite the metadata peasant. Don’t care too much about statistics and curated playlists and such.

So in my case it would be a nice to have. So it is easier to say no.

I think I may have been the only Roon user who did not want this feature. Lol.

I’m sure that this was his meaning, but it was not the statement that he made. There is enough confusion about this topic and we should be precise and not add to the confusion by saying that an open port is enough to be compromised. It’s not. Or not any more than “visiting a website is enough to be compromised” or “starting the computer is enough to be compromised”

1 Like

i

I’ll have to disagree with you there…an open port is certainly enough to be compromised if a vulnerability exists. You can’t possibly say what the risk is, you don’t know what assets are at risk nor the controls in place either at the server/website end or the consumer end.

Exactly. Therefore, an open port as such is not enough

Indeed. But when one does exist and they are very common just look at CVE database or talk to QNAP! If one exists in the service running on your open port then you potentially have a problem.

For those of us that have been streaming music from home for years, you will soon get bored of it and just use tidal. lol.

My point was that by being imprecise, some people come away with the wrong impression and there is enough confusion already. You don’t get compromised just because a port is open, you don’t get compromised just because you visit a website. Things are more complex and nothing good is achieved by simplifying it to the point where is becomes wrong information.

1 Like

No, because accurate metadata is very important for my usage and I don’t get that from Tidal. I have used Tidal and Qobuz apps for traveling for many years, and every time I was annoyed

No doubt, I guess I just have bigger things to worry about frankly :slight_smile:

Agreed :+1:

1 Like

I am confused as to why this Roon Arc is needed if the intention is to move to an offline model?
Roon arc does two thngs as far as I can see. It allows you to connect to your Roon core to play your files, and it allows you to connect to wherever you have those files stored - possible on the same machine as the core s/w, possibly elsewhere.

If Roon wanted to go to an offline model, presumable you would not need Roon Arc. The solution would be to run the Core in the ether on a Roon site, and then connect to your own music store in the cloud - OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox etc?

I think you have misunderstood Arc, its the polar opposite of what you are thinking. Its a permanently online model. Hence why the roon forum is in meltdown lol.
For me I installed twonky today just incase of an outage.

1 Like

I don’t get the question. They don’t want to go to an offline model, quite the opposite.

You can’t simply use the existing mobile Remote outside of a fast local network because it needs to deal with resiliency, fluctuating speeds, etc., and has a totally different network stack.

I hate this response because it can be applied to everything and anything to make people’s requirements seem insignificant.

2 Likes

Yes it’s here, working great for me so far

My misunderstanding then, possibly from the comments on the Roon forum.

1 Like