Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

That may not be possible.

Roon sees the Sonore UPnP Bridge as a Squeezelite box & not as a RAAT device, so can only be joined into a zone with other devices using the same protocol.
If the Muso’s are using AirPlay then they can only be grouped with other devices using Airplay.
However it is very easy to transfer the stream between endpoints as you move around the house.

aaaggghhhhh…I feared such a response.

I have contacted Roon so will let you know the response

This is just about the only thing that I find a little disappointing with Roon. I have 4 Roon End-points and can’t group any of them.

Is there any reason why Roon cannot in the future be configured to allow devices using different protocols to be grouped?

This looks very interesting. I’m almost sold on getting Roon but getting the bridge is a bit of a pain and adds to the expense.

Yesterday I installed the Roon trial and wondered whether the plugin you describe would work. I did have a play using a separate NAS that would allow LMS to be installed on it (the QNAP doesn’t seem to be supported which is where Roon is installed.

I couldn’t get Roon to see the LMS server so came to the conclusion @simon.pepper did.

As you have this going I may try again this evening. I can’t see why I cannot have LMS running on a different device to Roon?

Did your Naim streamer only show up once you had edited the config file?

Thanks

Richard

Hi @trickydickie
Yes the plugin can run on a separate machine. I have never run it on a NAS, so you may need to check the cpu architecture and maybe 1 of the arm static compile versions will work.

I dont have LMS installed at all, just the plugin.

No, the first time you execute the binary, you are supposed to pass the “i” flag and it will run for 30 secs then exit. This writes out all the uPnP renderers to the config.txt. You can then edit that file and it should already list the naim in there.

Here is a pic

Hi trickydickie

Many thanks for the detailed response however I fear that it will not solve the issue of synced play across the NDS and Musos as I believe they need to be grouped and your suggestion will run different protocols

Here is a pic of a group including kodi and naim, i dont have a muso, but if it supports upnp then I would expect you could group all “bridge” devices together as i have done. Maybe this is what you were talking about before when asking if it shows up twice?

Thanks Weta, bu I think the problem maybe that the bridge is recognised as a squeezbox device, whereas the Musos as UPnP or RAAT, and thus not able to group with the squeezebox.

I am pretty lost TBH …but your screenshot definitely shows the bridge as squeezebox as you know

Sure, i think where I’m coming from is that i suspect your muso supports upnp as well as RAAT protocol. If it does, then the lms-to-upnp bridge will pickup all musos and all other upnp devices, and turn them into squeezeboxs, thus allowing similar protocol devices to be grouped. The previous pic shows kodi, this is definitely a upnp device only, but i could group it with the nd5xs as it and the naim appear as squeeze boxes.

Aha…yes they are definitely UPnP as that is how the NDS communicates to them now…that is very old news…

Thanks for this, I made the mistake of installing the plugin to LMS whereas this is just a simple executable that exposes the UPNP device as a Squeeze device. It probably explains why it wasn’t discovered by Roon.

I will give it a go later. At the moment I’m at the proof of concept stage so will use my Windows desktop PC. Longer term I could probably run this on a spare Raspberry Pi I have if needs be or setup a VM on the QNAP.

Is the SQ better than before you got Roon?
Is this all down to Roon - or did you change anything else at the same time?
What is it about Roon that makes the SQ better for you?

I am defintely very wary of doing this but would love to find out. Can this be used on a mac?

Thanks for all the valuable help

They all implement their clocks differently so syncing disparate devices is nigh on impossible and maintain sync and max sq, I guess it’s a nightmare to support to. You can group same type of endpoints together but not mix them

So will Sonore UPnP bridge and Musos be considered the same type of end point and thus be grouped?

All the musos and legacy gear only support UPnP and using the LMS to UPnP plugin all be in Roon as squeezeboxes so they can all be grouped together if needed. Only the Atom,Star and Nova from the Unity range support Raat as do all the new streamers from last year. All other Naim kit just has UPnP or Airplay.

So with Musos you can add them to Roon as Airplay endpoints or Squeezebox eendpoints using bridge software from Sonore or the free one for LMS. The older stuff can only be added as SqueezeBox endpoints using the bridge software.

If you want them all to play as a synced group they all need to be the same protocol, if you don’t want sync play for all of them then you can mix and match.

I have a misture of RAAT and ChromeCast in my system and very happy with it. I only ever sync two together and they are both RAAT.

1 Like

Yes. If you add them using the bridge and not airplay.

1 Like

Great news.

Does the LMS require the technical set up as described so well above by Weta or is there a simpler way?

I use a Mac and am not technically literate at all…as you may have gathered!

Hi Weta

This looks very interesting, I have this running in LMS but Roon failed to find my NAC N272. I have both Roon and LMS running on Synology NAS without any apparent issues.
Roon can see all my Sonos speakers and connects as end points.

Any more detailed advice would be appreciated. A new thread might be a good idea as I can see this running for a while.

Thanks

CK

How does the sound of the Zen fit with the Naim sound?
Also - has anyone tried SoTM devices - especially with a 272 - and how do they sound and work with Naim systems?