Rugby World Cup

Pressure on Scotland just went up a notch!

1 Like

Sadly I don’t think there will be a comeback after the 1st quarter in the S.A./Namibia game, there is a massive gulf in quality.

Looking forward to tonight’s game Aus v Wales. :+1:

I’m also a bit surprised we don’t have any Kiwi members joining in, thought @Mike_S and the others would be all over this.

2 Likes

Well done Japan! Fully deserved and spectacular win. Good students of the game, commitment to each other and fine attention to detail.
Watched it at the pub. Coverage down here has been very hit and miss due to only being able to watch via streaming. Big disruptions and glitches…I didn’t bother subscribing because the internet in our part of town is very slow at peak times.
Spark Sport are improving things so they tell us but we will see…

1 Like

After the New Zealand victory over South Africa last week there is a relative hiatus for us with 3 lowly ranked teams to play over the next 3 weeks. The “ phoney war” will be over in the quarter finals in a few weeks where it will be much more exciting. The Japanese upset over Ireland has put a cat amongst the pigeons. The Allblacks would have been due to play the second team in group B in the quarter finals, which would have been Scotland going on form, but now it could be Ireland or Japan.
Quite a different experience for England with some really tough matches in their pool. They will be battered and bruised from a very tough group.

1 Like

Loved the Japan game. Such energy, fitness and also precision and discipline. Ireland ended up looking rather bewildered but I am sure they will come again. Japan are the new Fiji; everyone’s favourite second team I think

1 Like

Teams need to be careful when playing “lowly ranked” teams as Ireland found out yesterday. Also think not having tough games in the lead up the semis can bring you undone, not that I’d think that NZ would fall in to that trap.

One thing that confuses me is who is ranked number 1, depending on what game and who’s calling so far I’ve heard Ireland were, then Wales and finally the other night it was the ABs.

1 Like

Everyone loves an underdog. :grin:

1 Like

England will look on and feel greatly encouraged. Neither of these teams will present much of a threat at the QF stage.

That’s a big call, great game.

Sorry Pete, what a game that was, both worthy winners, but the Welsh got the points & it was that Gareth Davies steal just before half time that made the difference.

2 Likes

You win some, you lose some. Ended up a lot closer than I thought it was going to be at halftime. Thought we fought back well. Just not good enough on the day. :+1:

I know, could come back to haunt me! This was a very entertaining game, but so many elementary errors from each team, and too much indiscipline, hence my remark.

In a different vein, does anyone else feel exasperated with the way the rules, and the refs, permit the team in front to deliberately time waste at the scrummage? I honestly believe the clock should be stopped throughout these interminable resets. Scrums definitely one of the areas where League shows Union the way.

I didn’t want to bring that up as I don’t want to sound like a score loser. But that tackle, the Walsh player should been penalised for poor technique. They wasted 5 minutes looking at that and didn’t bother to review a try.

2 Likes

Clock should re-start at the put-in for me. Ditto line outs.

I thought that both teams were pretty good actually. Australia appeared to pick the wrong starting 15. The sub fly-half was excellent. Wales effective but probably a little fortunate

Goal kicks also a source of timewasting. Don’t see why such a long delay is warranted. Reducing the time allowed to 45 seconds would help.

France woke up eventually; but now for the main course: NZ v Can.

Real mismatch. Looking like the first cricket score of the tournament.

1 Like

Perhaps … but despite the ball having new types of dimples the humidity is playing havoc with handling. (You could be right judging by the start of the 2nd half.)

Best part of £130 each!

Ireland have a very tough challenge ahead today, including silencing their critics. Let’s hope it is a great game.

1 Like