Ryuichi Sakamoto RIP

Death just announced on the BBC, at the age of 71. I can’t claim to be an expert on his work, but I have enjoyed lots of his music that I have.

ご冥福をお祈りいたします
(Gomeifuku wo oinori itashi-masu)

[I’m sure @feeling_zen will correct me if necessary!]

Mark

10 Likes

I echo your sentiments Ebor; another sad loss.

2 Likes

I discovered him fairly recently, as part of digging into the history and development of electronic music, a big part of my youth as curated by my dad, and a massive part of my teenage years as the house music scene developed.

Been listening to this just now in tribute.

Hidari Ude No Yume (Left Handed Dream - IIUC)

5 Likes

Very lucky to have seen Sakamoto San at the London Dominion Theatre on 22nd March 1989 a wonderful concert and memory.

2 Likes

I saw him play at Yamaha Hall about 10 years ago. He was very talented indeed.

2 Likes

Oh gosh, another great loss…r.i.p

His film score for Bertolucci’s The Last Emporer was memorable. Many people encounter classical music while watching films. I confess I set the mood for some creative writing classes by playing Sakamoto and on a few occasions students asked me what I was playing, which was unusual. A sad loss.

7 Likes

I’ve been meaning to listen to some of his work for a long time.

Loved the single Forbidden Colours with David Sylvian.

Quite surprised I’ve not listened to much of his output otherwise.

3 Likes

The album Beauty.

Brian Wilson and Robert Wyatt contribute vocals. I shall be giving this a spin later.

4 Likes

Excellent article on Ryuichi Sakamoto by Simon Reynolds.

1 Like

RIP

1 Like

From Technodelic, YMO’s masterpiece:

4 Likes

Wow, so sad. First Shorter and now Sakamoto, both giants in their respective areas. Their music lives on, thank goodness.

1 Like

I was (am) just settling into ”async” and decided to have a quick glance at the forum and saw this thread. Another great artist taken too soon…

Don’t forget Ray Shulman also a giant just gone.

I was at that gig too @AndyP - it was a stunner

1 Like

‘Forbidden Colours’ with David Sylvian always stops me in my track. They did some other interesting work together as well.

3 Likes

Neo Geo - not only Bill Laswell on bass but Bootsy Collins as well.

With Iggy Pop on the track ‘Risky’

3 Likes

I must actually have that on vinyl as the cover is so familiar.

this is my all time fave album is 1996. Chamber adaptation of his soundtrack pieces. Hoping someone would release this in vinyl.

He was only 71. :cry:

Multiply was my first exposure to YMO. Still it’s pretty amusing.

2 Likes