Scandi Noir Recommendations...?

I haven’t seen “The Sandhamn Murders” mentioned. It’s more Scandi than Noir, but those Swedes are clearly a murderous bunch!

Looks like its on Amazon Prime, in the UK… :neutral_face:

1 Like

Palle Rosenkrantz, The Forest Lake Mystery. Published in 1903 and billed as the first Danish detective novel. Translated David Young 2018. A holiday read, police procedural, engaging and suitably nasty in places. Has worn its age well and very different to the Golden Age of English Detective stories. I was given this as part of a Christmas present of detective stories.

Again not ‘Noir’ but The State of Happiness was very good drama around origins (people, politics and money) of Norwegian oil discovery. Series One on iPlayer and Series Two starts this Saturday. Recommended.

Pretty sure I have seen this - but thanks for the heads up on Series 2…!!

I thought series 1 was superb.

This, I believe, might belong into blue sky genre (the sun is always shining and sky is blue). Good series though.

1 Like

Perhaps, along with Nordic Murders on C4, they could be known as the Baltic Noir?

2 Likes

The Keeper of Lost Causes contains maybe the greatest Grand Guignol murder method I have ever come across.

I refer to the book. I see there is a film as well.

2 Likes

Dept Q Vol 1 - known as ‘Mercy’ in the UK.

I just bought a copy.

A few that I’ve found really good, all on Netflix (in NZ at least)

Occupied (Norway)
Caliphate (Sweden)
The Mire (Poland, but I think fits the style)

And another vote these already mentioned above;
Fortitude
Deadwind
Trapped

Greetings from the Nordics :wink: one which comes to mind and I’m currently watching is Finnish ‘Ivalo’ (Arctic Circle in English). It is set in Lapland, don’t know if it is available Netflix though.

@carlp - Thank you.

Deadwind is available on Netflix in the UK - Its good - I have watched it.
Fortitude seems to on Sky in the uk - so I will not be watching that…
Trapped seems to possibly be BBC in the UK, but it does not seem to be available…?

Occupied is available on Netflix in the UK. Added to My List.
Caliphate - as above.
The Mire - as above.

@AudioPhil - Greeetings from UK, from a Nordic Noir fan…! Which Nordic country are you in…?

Ivalo is not coming up. Maybe too new…?

Ivalo is from 2018, also known as Arctic Circle. Can’t see it’s available in the UK. (Roku or topic only)

Trapped is on Amazon prime.
Fortitude also via Amazon but you have to pay for it.

This is it - [Artic Circle - Ivalo][Arctic Circle (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb]

Seems to be on Amazon.

(I have Netflix - but that it. No Sky, no Amazon.)

We watched fortitude season 1 when it was on bbc. Not really scandi, it’s sci-fi as a recall.

The BBC have a habit of deleting things from their iPlayer after a while. Maybe that’s whats happened. I just checked again - and its not there… :slightly_frowning_face:

I watched the Mire on Netflix. Not bad.

1 Like

Sorry about that… It is pretty good, if you can find it somehow someday. I’m living in Finland, but down in Helsinki. Pretty far from Lapland, but I’ve been up there a couple of times, both in winter and summer, amazing landscapes and wilderness.

2 Likes