Scanspeak tweeters

Does anyone happen to know if there are repair kits for the Scanspeak tweeters used in SBL’s and some of the older Linn’s?

Thanks

1 Like

Information here :+1:

1 Like

Might be useful if anyone tries the Falcon Acoustics website, I had issues recently that appears to be a captcha issue. Email response from them suggests they’ll be fixing it soon. Just in case anyone else has issues with it.

1 Like

Try Willys-Hifi Ltd. in Southend
01702 523999
www willys-hifi (.) com/
They are a long established Scanspeak (plus other brands) dealer

You can’t beat a working website to help customers part with their money :wink:

3 Likes

I bought a couple of Scanspeak drivers for my SL2s from Willys just before all the fuss about them being discontinued started. They were very quick and efficient.

3 Likes

The same experience here with tweeters for DBL .

1 Like

I replaced my original Scanspeak SBL tweeters with the Hiquphon OW1-92 Tweeters - matched pair - from Willy’s HiFi and was pleasantly amazed. I compared them with new pair of the original Scanspeak tweeters and the improvement of the OW1-92s was substantial.

3 Likes

From a certain website :

After almost 5 decades of service the highly praised D2010/851100 were upgraded to D2010/852100 with modern materials and to new manufacturing standards, still maintaining its excellent performance as wide dispersion, smooth frequency response and natural sound character.

1 Like

Glad your happy with those for your SBLs, however our very knowledgeable moderator posted this below in the thread I linked to - I am unaware of his reasons.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses all.

Can these tweeters be easily opened up and a new new dome/voice coil installed?

I guess probably not, but it’s nice to know of the new 852100 version.

Regards

The new ones are a little different…

3 Likes

Yes, they are a little different but I wouldn’t be afraid to use them as they have the same sensitivity and a even lower free air resonant frequency.

1 Like

They require 4 holes though instead of 3 for the screws

1 Like

Hopefully they will work,I bought a pair of the original ones for my DBL´s last year,just in case.

1 Like

The D2008/8512 have three holes… So the SBLs and IBLs should have D2008 tweeters and the DBLs, NBLs and SL2 have D2010s.

1 Like

Ordered these for my iBLs from Falcon Acoustics on Sunday, arrived here by courier Wednesday. The tweeters were well packed with bagged individual boxes, placed in a larger box with foam chips. I need to get some unleaded solder, and because of my busy schedule I hope to install them next week.

9 Likes

I got a pair for my nbls and put them straight in, the difference is astounding. Anyone in this vintage of speakers that is otherwise messing around with Ethernet cables and other crap, do yourself a favour a get new tweeters

8 Likes

I agree. A new pair of Scanspeaks for my SBL’s and the trebles are more purposeful in their presentation.

2 Likes

New Scanspeaks fitted to my SBLs yesterday. Previously sounded harsh and too sibilant. Now beautifully clear and detailed. The old units were obviously worn out (1996).

7 Likes