Screen Freeze Update?

Based on previous promises to fix with the “next update”, I’d not bet on it being fixed this or next summer!

Whenever you post in this thread, the forum software system sends a Freeze instruction to your streamer.

4 Likes

I’m sure they’re doing their best, and are trying, but I think the real issue here is that their release schedule only allows them to try one thing every quarter or so.

Why not release smaller bugfix releases (without any new features), and do so frequently? With only the ‘feature’ releases every quarter.

If you have been reading this thread for a while you will know about my onngoing issues with this.

I am on my third Star, the previous two being replaced by Naim.

With my current Star when it freezes or more accurately doesn’t respond to the remote control, it does respond to the iPad version of the app and after a period of time (15 to 30 mins or so) the screen unfreezes and the unit responds to the remote control again. Intersestingly, it never freezes when it is on the internet radio input before turning off, now having written this I expect this could be a case of famous last words. It has frozen on all other inputs that I use, whether it is turned off manually or allowed to turn off automatically after a set amount of time. Sometimes it freezes with with a blank screen, sometimes with the icon screen. I must admit I am getting a bit fed up with this state of affairs.

It generally makes more sense for releases to encompass a number of fixes or improvements. Of course, I can appreciate that this can be frustrating for anybody with a particular issue right now, such as the screen freezing. What I can suggest is that the Beta group get to trial fixes before release, so if you’re keen to get stuck in and take part (especially if your issues are persistent and repeatable - your feedback could be really important) then please do contact R&D on beta@naimaudio.com and they will be in touch.

Yes and no. I would agree with the literal statement, but disagree assuming you mean what Naim currently do. Develop for 3-4 months and then do a giant release with many changes, and no bugfixes between releases. Of course I don’t mean that there should only be a single bugfix per release.

Naim’s versioning scheme even seems to cater for it. 3.3.0 -> 3.4.0. There could have been a 3.3.1, 3.3.2 etc.?

I might indeed join the beta group, anyone with experiences they can share here?

1 Like

Screen freeze. Nooooooo!!!
Latest software v 3.4 installed few weeks ago. Was fine before that☹️

1 Like

Anybody get this screen?

I get this once per listening session. Hitting ‘Try again’ fails. The only way out is to kill the app and restart. This is on an iPad, everything up to date.

First time to day after long time I got screen freeze… frustrating

Nope never had that one.

That message can mean that the wifi signal picked up by your phone/tablet is quite weak for whatever reason and the phone has switched to “WiFi Assist”. You could turn WiFi Assist off and see whether that helps (WiFi Assist uses mobile data when WiFi is weak and if the phone is using mobile data instead of WiFi, it will lose the streamer). There was a time when this was an issue a couple of years or so back and I recall some beta group activity on it, but it’s not been a problem since then so far as I am aware.

Best

David

Its well worth joining as Richard says…and you may help them solve your problem. If you do not like an aspect of a beta software can you can roll back to the release version. So nothing to lose really, plus something like Qobuz you would have been listening to months before release.

Interesting. I hadn’t had one for quite a while either, and then a few in the last week. Or just coincidence?

Maybe the weather response​:joy::joy: try to remember what did you do on your equipment before it’s happened …maybe we did something in common.it can be a sign

It is been quite warm here recently, so maybe indeed. I don’t think anything else’s changed.
Same with you?

My iPad has no cellular so WiFi assist is not an option. This always happens when coming out of sleep. I suspect there is some kind of bug when trying to re-establish a connection to WiFi.

Probably a bug in your WiFi router then. It’s not something that anyone else has reported seeing happening with the iPad app in recent times anyway, so almost certainly not a bug in the app anyway.

Best

David

Also in my country the weather were extremely hot

My star is still suprising me with doing new odd things. Yesterday whilst listening to the radio it rebooted itself. I was not touching the remote, the ipad was on a table so no input from there either to cause this. Has this happened to anyone else. On a more positive note it is not presenting me with a blank screen or frozen screen as often now. Been keeping a log of the star’s antics so once the lock down is over will email it into Naim and my dealer.

This has happened to me once. I’ve had it for about a year.