Screen Freeze Update?

Many thanks Richard. I’ve done a further full reset of the NDX2 so let’s see how it goes. I’m quite relaxed about it as I’ve the display off for listening, so happy to wait it out.

I should add Jonathan in Support was very helpful.

G

yep its only happened to me about twice since upgrade so certainly not a biggy, I just wish they’d address the screen functionality though, for example turning on/off only via the app on the NDX2 is a faff never mind the overall unimaginative integration - see NAD M10. I do like the screen but its just a bit frustrating.

Hi Richard.
Do you know if alarm clock, Qobuz integration will be added in 3.4 or shall we wait v4 for them ?
Cheers

Sorry Julien, I can’t make any further comment on any upcoming firmware release beyond what Naim have said above.

Oh no! Screen freeze again … with new firmware.

Unplug and try a full reset as a ‘new product’. This is the advice I was given by support and so far so good.

Failing that the next software release as noted above.

G

Right now…after I did the new update 3 weeks latter no screen frozen anymore,hope for the future it will remain

Today the screen froze at the home screen. No album art displayed until power cycle …

Screen freeze failed with the last firmware

I just had my first screen freeze on my brand new NDX2 with the latest firmware :frowning_face: I was playing tunes from Tidal and when I went to play something from my Server, it kept the album from Tidal. I killed the Naim app and it didn’t help. Had to unpower the NDX2 to clear it. So bug is still there.

Best to contact Naim. They would like to know of these events.

2 Likes

Yes, if it happens, please let Naim know giving as much supporting detail as possible. Thanks.

I wish they did an option for the ND555 with no screen. I can’t even remember the last time I actually used it (especially with Roon).

2 Likes

I agree. And if you listened to Steve Sells discussing how it affects sound quality, and the time, effort, technology they used to regain the sound quality…you would wonder why they bothered. Marketing and its required at the price point, i would rather have had even better sound quality.

2 Likes

Im curious if the unit would function without it. Maybe Naim should work on an upgrade path - pay extra at service time to remove the screen and replace the face plate. Hahahaha.

2 Likes

When Roy George retired he had was given a special one as a retirement gift. I did wonder if they had done a modification like screen removal etc. Anyhow i did get the chance to ask Steve Sells who kindly showed me some pics on his iphone. Basically the rear panel writing like digital 1 etc was modified with Naim in house jokes about Roy and his friends names.

1 Like

Nice touch.

I really love the screen, and had on my new feature request list… I use it often and was one of the defining items behind my purchase . I don’t like to be chained to the iPad … this about listening to music and having a visual cue of the album art, rather than fiddling around with gadgets and ‘devices’. Especially useful with Roon.
I am not sure it was a huge amount of effort removing the noise, rather more appropriate and applied engineering design, use of suitable components, and lessons learnt from the legacy streamers… at least that was the impression I got when last at Naim with Steve Sells, and lets be honest it’s not really ‘rocket science’. Similar considerations were applied to the transport module decoupling and isolation too. I am sure you will find it’s not by chance the display is on the right hand side.

1 Like

Just in time for winter, my screen has frozen again. Just emailed naim to see where they are at with a promised new update.

Still sounding very nice though!

G

They are on the case i sent them some screen freeze data today and last week…they will get there.