Show us what's inside

This one is with CS4397 and CS8416

1 Like

I see that you are not skimping on the transformers @Don_Camillo, nice builds

Can’t see any fault in that logic.

Seems odd for there to be so many more components in a power amp than in a preamp…

Well, the NAP500 is not just a regulated power amp (essentially a power amp regulated by another power amp), but it’s bridged as well, so it’s kind of like having four power amps in one.

It was the beginning of years of student debt that cost quite a bit of money until I wisened up and fixed it. But true, it gave me a nice preamp and I will never forget the magic moment when for the first time I connected it all together and the first bars of a King’s Singers album played. (The Planar 3, the pre and accompanying power amp, and the final piece being rather big TDL transmission lines - actually a kit distributed by the German distributor. Green pre, blue power, and the TDLs were pink :slight_smile: )

Edit: Not inside, but I suppose some TDL pics are in order. Getting replaced by Monitor Audios in 2009 after 21 years:

(after my Rotel amp blew an output transistor for no reason when idling, killed one bass chassis and I thought I’d never get a replacement anymore)

Then I got the apparently last remaining bass chassis after all but had the MAs already, so I gifted the TDL to a friend. Foam job necessary for best gift quality. (His Canton feeling threatened already and edging off stage right :slight_smile: ) :

3 Likes

Yes, this builds follow “best cap is no cap” approach :innocent:

Not sure what this white card is?

HiCap

Complete with QC signature.

6 Likes

Looks like NA 322 aka Phono MM

1 Like

Very early ones too, by the look of it from the boards and “artwork” tracks.

1 Like

Ah, they seem to be working. No clicks etc.
Hopefully Darran can service them as needed.

Decided to send off this cb kit next week.

The Naim power supplies are definitely not worth the price. They are the big money makers for Naim. I like to think of them like the drinks at a fast food restaurant. They charge $2 for 5 cents of product. That’s where all the profit comes from. Power supplies are are not rocket science or hard to assemble.

But they do make a difference. If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d make my own. Hmm… maybe a project for this winter.

5 Likes

I have often thought that Naim market and sell power supplies, to which you can add a preamp or amp, as desired.

2 Likes

I’ve often thought the same thing. After all, any electrical product starts with a power supply and everything that comes after the power supply just changes the function of the power supply. So in a sense, the power supply is the hifi.

I don’t get the complaints. Yes, building “a” PS might no be super expensive, but you are not just paying for the pieces in it but your part of everything that led to it, like having an institution like Naim with the knowledge and experience necessary for developing the pieces in the first place. The NA009 development for instance will not have come cheap and obviously it’s not going to be paid for by the buyers of Statement alone. It all has to even out and turn a bit of profit on the balance sheet. Naim’s size is what it is and if they try to expand it with Bentleys et al. we get the complaints too. The way I see it, we Naim owners are a small community and we are all chipping in for Naim to thrive and develop and deliver the stuff we desire. Anyone is free to stop doing that.

6 Likes

Philco radio 1930s i think, still works!

5 Likes

Above: X-Over, Passive SL2 (left), and SBL (right)

Below: SL2 X-Over

6 Likes

Inside … my attic

Slightly modified Ron Smith G-14

20 Likes

Just have to show my Ron Smith Galaxie 14 attached to a scaffold pole strapped to the chimney (the first pole bent). The lower FM aerial with pieces missing is for next door, but I guess he does not get much benefit.

Not kept shiny like yours, but it went up in the 1980’s…

6 Likes

Inside my airing cupboard :grin:

When i eventually get around to acquiring a tuner…
my Galaxie 14 will go up in the loaf in very much the same way as Mike-B’s

5 Likes