Show us your camera

I had one for years. Gorgeous glass.

Yours looks lightly used, looking at the little bit of paint that can be seen. Thumbs up.

Yep, barely a mark on it. I just put the covers on a few weeks back as was poking it out of a hide…

Worth trying the focus range limiting switch [on the EF 300m f/2.8] if you have not already done so.

Yes decent bit of kit at last here. How much was it?

About £1,300…

How old is it and how much is a new 300?

They don’t do a current 300mm, RF 400 f2.8 is £13K.

Don’t know age for sure, it was made from ‘05 to 2011 I believe, when mkii was released. Not a mark and no dust on the important bits mind and barely any on the outside. And it’s nice hardcase was included…

I’ve had the mark II system since 2013. Beautiful lens, although I use it less now as I don’t really shoot indoor sports anymore. Works great on my R3 (as well as my old 1DX II).

Mine had a Canon date code stamped on the black bit of the mount, facing the camera body. The code was opposite the electrical contacts.

I was initially considering a mkii but this seemed such a bargain I went for it.

And I’m being really picky about the speed of AF, it’s actually very good, the Shuttleworth pics I took recently were using it and frankly it was flawless, I’m just used to virtually better than instant snap of newer lenses!

From internet chat it’s better than fine on the R5 and R3. I’ll wait and see how the Mki performs on an R5ii but I guess it’s the weight and size savings that are the big markers for the ii so I suspect I’ll hang on to this.

1 Like

OK I’ll take a look

I shoot with the 500 II more often now, but when I get the chance to shoot cycle / cycle cross the 300 is the best! Enjoy yours. At my age the less weight the better, but I wasn’t tempted by the RF 100-300 f/2.8.

Turns out it’s August 2008.

Thx

1 Like

Already am… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Nothing like a nice new/used lens or even a new/used HiFi item!

Tim

2 Likes

An eight years old Nikon D810 and an inseparable Nikkor 300mm F/4 D AF-S which is a little older than the camera. I looked at a 300mm f/2.8 but its weight (2.9 kilos vs 1.3) made it impractical for me since my walks with a camera are usually around 9 kms or more. Anyway, the f/4 has the same great optics in terms of sharpness and contrast though it has no VR and definitely focuses slower than the f/2.8. . The bokeh rendition is outstanding, much better than the newer PF Nikon lenses provide. That’s a very important issue for me since I tend to shoot employing wide apertures. The built-in lens shade that pulls out and locks works great.

5 Likes

Very nice work

1 Like

I had a Minolta XG-M just after leaving university. I put it on the top of my car while I opened the door, forgot about it and drove off :slightly_frowning_face:. I replaced it after a while with a Minolta XD7, which was a brilliant camera, offering both aperture and shutter speed auto as well as full manual operation. I also bought a Minolta X700, which I still have. I have several MD Rokkor lenses, which sadly couldn’t be used on any of the subsequent autofocus bodies.

2 Likes

My little Pentax family
K3 mk3
K10D
MZ6
ME Super

8 Likes