Show Us Your Disc Player!

You appear to have a Naim transit case.

I want one of those for my next birthday!

1 Like

Where’s your '72 ?

1 Like

Which one?
Early edition :point_up: upstairs with hicap/180 CD5x and Mordaunt Shorts 100 golds :slightly_smiling_face:
Late edition presently boxed up in storage. :package:

2 Likes

:+1: :grin: :+1:

1 Like

After it spending years boxed-up I decided to use my ‘spare’ Arcam Alpha 5 CDP as a transport into the Arcam D33 DAC. Straight out of the box it is a superior transport to the DV135 - much quieter, fewer superfluous features (for 2 channel) and a more solid, smoother sound than the DV135 using the same coaxial cable and input it did - transports clearly do make a difference.

It is also a much better match visually with the rest of the Naim and Arcam equipment (the DV135 is silver).

How does the 5 CDP/D33 combo compare with the CD5SI? It’s too early to tell but I’m not sure I want to find out.

8 Likes

And of course the alpha 5 with its simple layout and tda1541a dac is a modders dream… they really do respond to better caps and cleaner voltage feeding the dac and the over sampling chip…

1 Like

An excellent performing player, even if the casework and build was a bit of a step backwards from what went before. I have an original Alpha and an Alpha 5 Plus. The latter was originally just so I could have a spare mech for my CD3, but it’s probably too good for that…

1 Like

I’m thinking about adding a Disc Player back to my set up. It needs to a single box, compete with a Nd555 with 2 PS and play SACD. Impossible task?

Yes I’ve read about modifications to the player that can really make it into something quite special - a bit beyond me though I’m afraid. Across to two examples I have replaced a CD draw cog few times though.

1 Like

The first one I purchased 2nd hand from Zen Audio in Hull back in 98 when I was at uni - it was a major upgrade from any CDPs I had had before. It now resides in my open baffle system and either despite or because of the system’s transparent nature, sounds the best I’ve ever heard it. I did actually apply Dynamat type material to the lid which makes a considerable different to the ‘feel/sound’ of the casework.

The one pictured above we bought 2nd hand from Manders in Grimsby for my Great Aunt - she had 10+ very enjoyable years out of it (Arcam Alpha 1 amp and Mission 731i) before she passed away. It then came to me and has not really been used much - that will now change.

Would something from Esoteric fit the bill?

1 Like

Not that I have heard it but the DCS Vivaldi One Apex?

If it’s SACD I would suggest something by Denon or another Japanese manufacturer possibly Luxman

3 Likes

Marantz sa-10 or Denon DCD A110?

3 Likes

Those are what I would have suggested, particularly if the OP was going to use the DAC in the ND555.

This is phenomenal machine. Sound is warm and articulate.

Marantz SA-10

23 Likes

Reposted after a good dusting!

19 Likes

Needed to dust mine too @Mario !

Here is mine with accompanying DAC, plus the phone stage on the same shelf

11 Likes

Hi @Pete22 are you content with the Ares? Does it really have a kind of „Vinyl Sound“?

1 Like