Show us your guitars!

Whatever your view on PRS’s pickups, I think the explanation Paul gave in this YouTube piece was very useful. I certainly learned from it.

But… YMMV… :thinking:

Oh, I had watched it previously - always interesting to hear what he has to say.

1 Like

Nice GH Tele! Here is my replica:

10 Likes

Not mine.

Just randomly googled whether a double cut telecaster is a thing. And, yes it is. Looks lovely :thinking:
Although the non cutaway LP is just the most desirable.

3 Likes

Love it!

I just added this to my repertoire - perfect for practice in my cramped “world’s smallest man cave” office setup - which I will show again when I have it completed in the system pics. It is the Positive Grid Spark.

Really cool little 40 W amp with a ton of amps and effects that can be run from the phone…and I had a wireless setup I had bought because I could and wondered where I would use it, and in this tiny room, it is perfect because I don’t need an instrument cable to get in the way. It has Clean, Crunch, Hi-Gain, Metal, Acoustic, and even can take a bass.

Around 38 amps and about 50 pedals, plus it can create backing tracks off chord sequences, and you can download other uploaded tones from other users for free. Couldn’t gig with it except in the very smallest venues, but a lot of fun, and it is what it is - a super versatile practice amp.

6 Likes

Just picked up this. AC30C2. About 10 years old, but pretty-much mint.

13 Likes

Looks good and I imagine sounds even better!

Richard

A classic…

Had a 1964, top boost AC30 with alnico blues in 1978. I bought it for £100, sold it to a teacher from my old school for £125 and felt pretty pleased with myself at the time, wish I’d kept it now…
Been using MusicMan amps all my playing career/life and treated myself to this baby a couple of years back after a life threatening illness when in New York. Got to go to the factory and meet Andy before I ordered

5 Likes

Splitting and tapping are the same thing, just different nomenclature. When splitting/tapping you can either shut down one coil entirely so turning the pickup into single coil in effect, or change the series wiring to parallel so both coils are on. I’ve wired hundreds of guitars through the years and never come a cross a pickup that has taps in the actual winding, not to say that doesn’t exist, just I personally have never encountered it. The Gerry Hayes book on guitar wiring is great to get ideas from.

I am a huge Gerry Hayes fan - I just bought his booklet on buying used guitars. I have his wiring book (hadn’t had time to even look at it) and his “Sketchy Setups” series.

1 Like

I agree. My 2 x HB guitar has a five position switch that gives splits in positions 2 and 4. I can’t imagine it without. It would be seriously less versatile.

No, they are not. Sorry…

Humbuckers cab be wired (using usually 4 wires instead of just 2) so that the individual coils can be utilised. This gives a sort of Single Coil sound - and (AFAIK) is called Coil Splitting.

Coil Tapping is done (AFAIK) on a Single Coil and gives the ability to use all the coils or only some of them.

That - is my understanding… But…YMMV… :expressionless:

If a Humbucker has 4 conductors, it can be wired single coil only (North or South coil) Parallel, series, or out of phase. 2 Conductor Humbuckers OOP only.
As I said I’ve wired 100’s of guitars, rewound pick ups, etc. but I bow to your superior knowledge

He’s right, though.

@winkyincanada - I think that was probably my source on this …?

But - as I said… Just my view.

I have only wired a very small number of my own guitars - and only one of them has Humbuckers with 4 wires, which can be switched between Humbucker and pseudo Single Coil mode.

Trying To Be Agreeable, But Failing…

@winkyincanada - Another take on it - which I think was my source -

Lets not split/tap hairs here gents.

2 Likes

Just eaten a big slice of humble pie. I’ve never ever come across these and I’m a big fan of Seymours’ pickups and have wired quite a few … so my bad!