2 Likes

fender masterbuilt

10 Likes

Nachocaster (2nd one I’ve owned)

7 Likes

Les Paul’s! :love_you_gesture:

12 Likes

Hi Robbo,
Can you tells us a bit about these guitars?
Richard

I had quite a collection of guitars that I have whittled down to half a dozen. These are the keepers… the Strat I’ve owned about 5 years. It is a 62 masterbuilt by Yuriy Shishkov, and has a really balanced sound. The nachocaster is just incredible - I bought it last December and gigged it just a few weeks later (at the national art museum in Barcelona nonetheless). As for the les Pauls, in the foreground is a Billy gibbons signature model, a beautiful guitar, that I’ve had now 10-ish years (I went through 5 of these to find the right one) and behind that is a 50 anniversary 59 reissue (non-aged), which is just a good workhorse. Have a couple of acoustics also, and a Kamaka ukelele which I picked up in Oahu 10 years ago or so.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Oh, and this Strat from 25 yrs back - a phenomenal guitar for blues :sunglasses:

11 Likes

So what type of music do you mostly play or is it, I imagine, quite wide ranging?

I like playing funk mainly, and blues, but will have a go at just about anything. I am more of a rhythm player, but have been known to knock the odd solo out too :blush:
I have been enjoying the ukelele again of late, and was fortunate to spend a bit of time with some pros on a recent trip to Hawaii, which reignited that passion.

1 Like

I’ve got a Faith Blood Moon Neptune. It’s a lovely guitar to both look at and play.

13 Likes

I have always wanted to see and play one of their guitars - that is a very pretty top on that one.

1 Like

Thanks. The body is Trembesi which is native to Indonesia where the Faith factory is. It’s similar in tone and colour to Mahogany and Korina. It certainly sounds great and obviously the grain is beautiful.

1 Like

Watching a bunch of YouTube videos got me interested in picking up the guitar again. I’ve never been any good, but owned some over the years. Sold off all the amps and electrics and kept just a Taylor acoustic. Yesterday I went up to the store to buy some strings for it and play a few electrics.

I never owned a Fender guitar but after playing a few Strats I think that’s how I’ll go. Kinda settled on the American Pro II.

Then today I ran into the videos about the PRS Silver Sky and I’m going to play one of those before deciding.

Given that all I’ll ever play it through is a tiny practice amp, I just want something I’ll enjoy picking up.

3 Likes

Gorgeous looking guitar there

1 Like

Without wishing to ignite a cable debate in this area of the forum has anyone else tried ‘Audiophile’ instrument cables?
I just bought an Evidence Audio Reveal. They’re hand built in America and they talk about directionality, burn-in, all the usual things we associate with Hi-Fi cables.
I’ve only used it for a couple of hours, so nowhere near the burn-in time if you do believe in that, but it definitely sounds better than my Planet Waves cable. Much less noise.
£65 for 10’ which when you’re used to the cost of Hi-Fi cables feels like a bargain.

I’ve tried a few over the years, but not found a great improvement. They can often be thicker and heavier which I found less comfortable and practical to use. I just use stock Fender black cables for everything which seems to work fine for me most of the time. If you play live in an electrically noisy environment there may be functional gains from a more shielded cable I guess?

1 Like

I make my own cables… Not difficult. Van Damme instrument cable - available in a huge range of colours - with Rean/Neutrik jack plugs.

1 Like

Bart, have you tried an equivalent Tele to the Strat. I too am an average player to say the least. I found the floating bridge on a Strat hard to control when bending. The other strings tend to lose pitch. This is my poor playing, not the guitar but I found a Tele helped with its fixed bridge. Just a thought. I now just have a Tele Ultra alongside a good selection of acoustics which are really my thing.

1 Like

You can also “unfloat” a Strat bridge, making it a hardtail.

1 Like