Show us your headphones

Interested in what you find. I have Elears and Meze 99c and was looking to get the Elegia as an upgrade for the Meze as I really like my Elears.

Where did you get your Dekoni pads from?
Looking to get a set for my Focal Elegias.

Hi, got a set for my Elears from Anologue Seduction excellent very comfortable.

1 Like

Only had them a week and they need some more :fire: in yet. However, they have already improved significantly, as you’d expect.
Technically far superior to the Meze 99C’s in many areas. Far more transparency and detail for starters. Bass clarity and definition is in a different league. Some might say it is lacking in bass. In quantity yes, in definition and depth, definitely not. Midrange clarity and quickness is excellent. Treble I’m not sure about yet, as it needs more time to settle, although there is a weirdness in the frequency response I can’t quite put my finger on. Not harshness or lack of clarity but as if something is missing and maybe needs some EQ, but only on some recordings.
Frankly it is a totally different listen and objectively superior. Subjectively, well that is different and let’s say … subjective!
I might try to pad swap to see if some of the Meze warmth can be brought back without EQ ing, which given I have a Nova and don’t run Roon, may prove awkward. The other interesting thing is to note that if you wear eyeglasses for reading, as I do, this affects the bass response quite significantly because the seal is partially broken by the frames. This could explain the big differences in opinion over their bass response by other users.
The pads are nice and made of velour. Very comfortable and not as sweaty as the sheepskin leather pads on my Mezes. Comfort for me is very good and at least as comfortable as the Mezes, despite an increase in weight, although I haven’t worn them for extended periods yet. I think I may try the Dekoni sheepskins, as users report an increase in bass warmth which may help offset the bass loss when I wear glasses.
Overall I think they are worth the extra money because they allow much more insight into the music. I was worried that the Nova headphone output may not be up to it, but so far so good, although I’m sure these headphones would reveal more with a headphone amp of better quality.
Looking forward to them improving further over the next few weeks and the fun experimenting with pads/EQ, although I like them enough with the stock sound not to bother if I didn’t want to. Problem is I’m a tinkerer.

Ta!

Hi @adeypoos
I got my Dekoni for LCD online from AudioSanctuary, and I believe
Hifiheadphones has them too.

Very nice pads!

Edit/ sorry, just realised you were looking for Focals!
AudioSanctuary or HFH should carry those to, I’d think. Or indeed Analogue Seduction, as mentioned by pcd.

Has anybody tried Dekoni pads with Sennheiser’s HD800s?

Cheers!

I wear glasses and have never noticed bass lacking with my Elears and they are fundamentally the same design and pads just open back. Maybe this accounts for the better bass.or heads shape is likely a better fit for me maybe? I am interested to try them giving how comfy I find the Elears and they are more comfortable than the Meze for prolonged sessions I get headsore with the Mezes after an hour or so, not with the Focals.

I too wear glasses and don’t notice any issues with bass on Elegias. Sounds the same with glasses on or off.
I would recommend a replacement cable to replace the ridiculously short (IMHO) supplied cable. I got a lovely cable from Custom Cans which improves sound, comfort and usability (IMO obviously). No connection with Custom Cans other than happy customer.

CK

1 Like

They are good, I got one for my Mezes so I didn’t have to keep using the 3.5mm to 6.35 adaptor. Plus is I can use it for the focals too.

Interesting point, as a Sony WH-1000 owner I note that Sony recommend glasses wearers to wear their glasses when running the noise cancelling set up routine.

Before then I had never given it a thought, perhaps it can make a difference?

1 Like

I would imagine the seal on the Elegias is more critical than on the Elears, given they are open back. Thinner frames may be the way to go for me because the bass drop is significant and very noticeable to my ears.

I just bought another set of Mezes longer cable. Pretty cheap as cables go and good quality plus it means I’ve got a back up as well. I can also use the shorter cable with mic which came with my Mezes if needed.

Now that a mention has been made of longer headphone cables, I feel a bit more comfortable about posting in this thread :slight_smile:
i have an order in for a pair of the the Focal Celestee headphones which Im looking forward to receiving.
When I trialled them I found the cable supplied with the phones to be not the longest, and I would prefer something longer.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality headphone cable that I could look at to replace the short Focal cable (rather than going for an extension cable)?
(I will also have a look at the Custom Cans lead as mentioned by @Ceexkay above )

I use Focal Elears I wanted a lighter cable as I found the original to be a bit cumbersome got a cable made up by Custom Cans excellent quality and reasonable priced.

1 Like

I’ve got an Atlas Zeno cable which I bought as an upgrade for my Focal Elegias. Very impressive.

1 Like

I use Moon Audio cables on several of my headphones. I like the results they provide. They are located in the US.

1 Like

I just bought an extra set of the Meze cables because they terminate in 3.5mm plugs and fit both my Meze 99C’s and Focal Elegias, neither of which need a fancy proprietary connector. Cheap as chips and sound absolutely fine. Got them from that place no one wants to buy things from.

1 Like

I have recently fitted a pair of the Dekoni Fenestrated ear pads mainly for the comfort situation regarding the slightly loose fit of the 800s on my head ( they seemed to hang rather than clamp even gently to my ears ) , the Dekoni pads solved this with aplomb.
Having the RME ADI-2DAC FS as the amplification in my little headphone rig (together with a Blusound Node 2i and Brennan as my source for streaming and cds )I am still experimenting with various filter options on the RME into the 800s but never thought I would enjoy being able to “tune” the sound to my tinnitus prone hearing.
Dekoni pads and RME are a win win result to my whistling hearing!!.

20 Likes

Did you make that stand your self? I made one for my bedroom rig as couldn’t find one suitable and that looks similar . I have the RME in my main headrig it works so well with my Elears.