Show us your headphones

Yes I did, the materials were fairly easy to come by (bamboo cutting boards from I**A, alloy tubing and stainless bolts from the river ) and all supported with sorbothane half spheres.
By the way forgot to mention that the Node 2i is under the table as it does not need line of sight to control, I find the app ok for Amazon hd , Qobuz and invariably Radio Paradise.

Thanks for your feedback @vertenna. You exactly wrote what I wanted to hear, I think. :grinning: Comparing my Focal Elegia (for closed-back duties) with my HD800S, I feel that the latter could do with better clamping – it’s a bit loose here too. Not too bad, but I could do with slightly better grip… When I looked at the Dekoni earpads I thought these look a lot “plushier” than the stock earpads – and thus I wondered whether the Dekoni might provide a better fit for my head. Though I also feared that the Dekoni might make it too tight…

Also, intrigued to see the RME ADI-2 in your set-up. It’s on my shortlist for a new headphone amp (though this purchase has just experienced a delay when I bought a preloved 282 a few days ago…). Have you compared different headphone amps before settling for the RME? When searching for user experiences I didn’t find too many with HD800s, which puzzled me…

Cheers!

Nice, I used IKEA chopping boards and M6 threaded poles.

13 Likes

I love the cute little rack! How do the Dekoni pads fix to your headphones - are they easy to fit? I’m considering getting some for my Focal Elegias. Does anyone out there have experience of using Dekoni pads with Focal headphones?

Going back in time to 2006 I had the “starter kit” in Naim separates ,Nait 5si amp , cdi player Notts Analogue record deck , napsc and headline. These were complimented by monitor audio spkrs and the original Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.Come 2018 , decided to cash in and commence streaming with the Atom , joined later with a nap200 power amp driving KEF R3s, including a little Chord mojo which was utilised at home and when travelling with an iPad Pro. Have tried many small portable headphone amp versions over the years but the chord has stayed with me since it came out!.I also tried various headphone makes along the way ( B&W, oppo p7 Audeze el8, Dan Clark aeon 2 ,all portable but came back to the 650’s.
That’s when I bit the bullet with the 800s and have settled quite comfortably with them . (Finally )
As my tinnitus became more apparent the idea of having a form of sound adjustment appealed and that’s when the RME came in .

1 Like

They come with a prising tool to flip off the original pads from their clips, the Dekoni pads just click into place on the original headphone clips.

1 Like

Got a set on myClear Pros. Very nice and easy to keep clean. Recommended.

1 Like

Ahh the IKEA triple decker,nice🙂

1 Like

YouTube is your friend here. :grinning:

1 Like

Indeed it is, videos from 90 seconds to 8 minutes. I did a quick look before ordering some Dekoni fenestrated pads for my HD800’s.

Tim

Used when sitting in the sun and pottering.
N

12 Likes

T’other bit.
Focal clear and Trilogy 931.
N

And now to get back up off of the floor.:frowning:

6 Likes

Fellow clear user here, albeit the red Pro version.
How grubby or not is the inner but of the headband?

Yes it does have the possibility to become soiled.
As I only have three hairs left on top of my head not so much of a problem for me.:wink:
They will be moved on shortly. Birthday treat.
Currently looking at the Grado Gs3000e (leather headband) and a slightly brighter sound plus a different amplifier.

N

1 Like

Nick. I had the GS3000e with that Trilogy amp before splashing on the 933. They are lovely phones, not so much bright as just incredibly clean and fresh sounding. I think of them as like SBLs. Fast and full of life, the bass is there but it is about quality not quantity.

Don’t audition the Trilogy 933 (although discontinued I think). It will end badly for your bank account.

Bruce

3 Likes

My away from home in camper van listening kit, not used as such this past year.

6 Likes

Heddphones now sporting a Custom Cans balanced cable, plugged into a Hifiman HE adapter, then via a Niles speaker switch into the Atom. The adapter and switch are hidden away so it keeps the whole setup minimal…I’m really really happy with this setup and I’m in no rush to change anything at all.

I’m new to HiFi though and fully appreciate that a purpose-built headphone amp would be an upgrade, but what is it about the design of them and what is the result on the sound produced, over the design and sound of the Atom?

14 Likes

Looks like you need an Atom HE!

4 Likes

As Chris suggests, perhaps it’s a good idea to take a listen to the new Atom HE.

Have a read about it here:

Thanks for the replies, yes I read about the new Atom HE with interest the other day.
We also use our Atom to power speakers though, which is why I use the Niles switch, so I’d need a power amp/powered speakers and suddenly this becomes a really costly upgrade.

Even taking the HE as an example then, what is it about the technicals inside which make it better for headphones? What about the sound would be improved over my setup? I’d certainly like to audition one in due course…