Show us your headphones

HiFiMan He4XX with Cyrus Soundkey for Tidal app on phone.
Cheapo AKG K52 used on desktop PC.
At some point I plan to get a JDS Labs Atom to use the He4XX on the main system.

I’m sure that this has been discussed before, but what is a good headphone amplifier option to run off an NDX2 for HD800’s?

I had other 'phones but ultimately RS1 survives.
kuma2-grado
Not as fast or resolute as HD800 but RS1 is still enjoyable.

27 Likes

Gorgeous!

(nice headphones too)

1 Like

Bought them (P7) just to distance myself from the rest of the gang :crazy_face: while wasting time on the imac, playing games every now and then. Not particularly impressed with them.

Not even when connected to the 272. Speaking of which, is the 272 headphone output any good?

1 Like

The guy who designed the HD800 is apparently rather fond of Violectric – a German company from Lake Constance (Bodensee). Their pro gear has the LakePeople branding, which is I think entertaining.

I have never heard Violectric, unfortunately. The brand isn’t terribly common in the UK, but it is held in high regard in Germany. After some building work here, I might start keeping an eye on that auction side we all frequent with a view to get a good-priced second-hand Violectric for my study. :innocent:

Does anybody here have experience with Violectric, especially with Sennheiser?

Cheers! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Snap

10 Likes

You obviously have impeccable taste.

1 Like

Ditto.

What’s the dog listening to, Bach? :wink:

5 Likes

Lovely photo @Kuma!

Looks almost like he forgot he was wearing phones, went to run across the room and got yanked back!

2 Likes

Horses for courses.

B&O E6 + custom sleeves
Shure SE846 + custom sleeves
Master & Dynamic MW65 (recent upgrade from MW60)
Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC

Used to spend a lot of time on planes - the Shures with the custom sleeves are amazing for isolating from everything. Barely used these days though :frowning: as now mostly (pre-lockdown) train commute into London and the Master & Dynamics are perfect for that - either wireless or plugged into the DAC.

B&O’s perfect for the gym.

5 Likes

Hi Richard, how do you rate that Dragonfly DAC? Looks a neat solution for getting better wired sounds out of devices. Not sure which model Dragon Fly Dad that is or price though.

Cheers, Rack.

Where did you get the custom sleeves done for the 846s done. I take it the driver assembly module just slides into the sleeve and non-permanent ?

Thanks

James

I’ve got some P7’s. Fine for the occasional airplane trip and movie at home, but yeah, otherwise not as comfortable as I first thought and just ok with sound. Lovely looking though.

Speaking of comfort, what are members thoughts of most comfortable, least clamping headphones that won’t break the bank (say under $500 new, less used)? Open or closed. I’ve always had issues with clamping pressure.

Hi George. Is it a perspective thing (the HD800S being closer to the camera/phone or are they that much bigger than the B&W P5 and PXs?

Cheers, Rack.

2 Likes

Correct - it’s an optical illusion/perspective effect as you say.

Here’s all three on the same plane;

George.

3 Likes

Well i have a violectic V281 on its way to try with my sennheiser hd800s, so will be running balanced from the rossini to it and then balanced out to the senns. Apparently it should sound flipping fantastic, as the V281 will add warmth and bass, without removing the fantastic sound stange the hd800s have, but we will see. Also having the rossini doing the dac duties should should make for great results, as it can run true balanced out.

2 Likes

Nice one – please report your impressions! :grinning:

Edit: Did you source in the UK, or are you getting the V281 from Thomann?