Show us your Sondek

Good to see Basically Sound are still going strong. They looked after me when I was at University (quite a few years back) :+1:

1 Like

Exactly. Use it…
Make music :musical_note: and enjoy it all.

1 Like

I made some simple mods to my Lingo Mk4 to make it more “rack friendly”

Pulled forward on the shelf for clarity…

Neutrik make angled XLR connectors which can be swapped without soldering

The mains inlet is upside down compared to convention so finding a left-angled IEC lead was a bit more tricky but they do exist!
Most cables are right-angled which would have the flex pointing towards the front of the rack instead of the rear

16 Likes

Nice thinking with the Lingo :blush:

I’ve just changed my ancient Sondek from Valhalla to a ‘Tibbeddon’ and wished I’d done it years ago. Such a tight and tuneful result!

3 Likes

Try to find some lemon oil, and give the plinth two or three gentle wipes over, with a couple of days between each application. That will bring out the grain and nourish’ the wood nicely.

But keep the lemon oil away from the metal top plate and platter.

A bit of time and patience, and the plinth will look marvellous.

You’ll thank me when you’ve done it and seen the results, I promise.

3 Likes

I also use lemon oil occasionally Graham, with good results. Someone here did caution against it for a reason that now alludes me though. I little certainly goes a long way in my experience.

1 Like

Probably because it doesn’t do bare metal, any good, but it is great on real wood.

Could be. You just need to take care when applying to the upper surface of the plinth.

IME Lemon Oil products (best to avoid pure Lemon Oil) do a very good job of nourishing the wood and raising the colour and sheen. Only possible downside is that they can sometimes leave a whitish residue in darker coloured open grain woods. If that doesn’t happen with your plinth wood then all is good.

1 Like

I bought, following recommendations on here, Dunlop 65 fretboard lemon oil which seems to do the job.

Ah ha…!! Thats what I use - on my Guitars… and very occasionally on my LP12…!

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Looks amazing imho

11 Likes

You got the Oil… Now get the Guitar… :grin:

Just re-oiled my Flutes… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Love those flutes :+1:
Super condition.

1 Like

The plinth is an unbraced Agnes Munro 1984. I bought it s/h from a dealer about 4 years ago. Has been very well looked after and is unmarked.
Always my dream tt since uni days

2 Likes

Hello, Endon, I confess to never having heard of an Agnes Munro plinth for the LP12. Was she an early example of an independent supplier of LP12 plinths?

1 Like

Agnes was the most prolific plinth builder at the factory. I’m not sure how many plinths she made during her time working at Linn Products Ltd but I would guess probably in the tens of thousands!
Her AM initials are carried on so many of the LP12s I have seen and worked on over the years.
I did meet her on the production floor many years ago she was a lovely lady :+1:t2:

KR,

Peter

10 Likes

Thank you for that explanation, Peter. I’m just about to have my new dealer delve into the guts of my LP12 to replace the plinth, so I’ll try to remember to ask if Agnes’s AM initials are anywhere to be seen.

It’s amazing what interesting trivia you pick up on this Forum!

1 Like

Thanks KJC. My lemon oil is a guitar product as others have said. No problems on an oak plinth as you might expect.

2 Likes