Show us your Sondek

No good. No fluting!

1 Like

Reminds me of the ‘dazzle’ camouflage applied to WW2 naval vessels.
Is that LP12 in danger of being torpedoed?

3 Likes

It’s a pretty mesmerising image.

Agree with you. Principles of camouflage/ distortion being very well displayed.

Does visual distortion counterbalance sonic distortion and lead to some kind of audio nirvana? Or just allow you to do less dusting ?

2 Likes

Late evening sunshine and a fluted plinth…

45 Likes

Sensational ratrat

Reconditioned Troika ?

Yep.
For anyone interested, would fully recommend it.

After the previous LP12 shown, a relief to see the sort of LP 12 I would like to own

4 Likes

I don’t mind the ProJect Artist range , or indeed the single colour LP12

but that doesn’t sit well…

2 Likes

A few years ago I started a thread, asking for turntable suggestions for my SN3 (with MM phono stage) ie specifically not wanting additional boxes. Several people suggested an LP12 which I’d not considered for my shortlist. I think a Linn Sondek is the most beautiful looking piece of hifi - and after hearing how good they can sound - my mind was made up. My set up is: SN3, NDX2, LP12 through Twenty5.23s.
Thanks to Peter @Cymbiosis for sorting me out with a Karousel, L4, Kore, Ittok with AT VM750 SH.
It’s sounding breathtakingly good isolated on a Vulkan wall bracket.
Simple and stunning. I could not be happier or more grateful.

47 Likes

Nicely done :+1:

1 Like

Like that set up - a lot!

2 Likes

Thanks @YetiZone I had an AR EB101 which was a decent turntable, but which in a hasty moment I gave to charity many years ago, assuming I’d never return to vinyl.

I am amazed at how good the LP12 is sounding. (Especially albums recorded in the 80s and 90s that don’t sound nearly as good digitally). I’m putting it down to being on a quality dedicated wall bracket, the quality of set up by Peter and the synergy with amp and speakers.

3 Likes

Thank you for the photos of the rebuild.
Been wondering what to do with mine.
Still wondering.
Currently using a Krystal

Troika2

6 Likes

If go over to “Troika anyone?”, there are lots of forum members that have shared their thoughts about their Troika’s, (including rebuilt Troika), compared to other cartridges. Some are Krystal users.

Also, on this thread “Show is your Sondek” this same discussion crops up. Maybe worth you reading about these other experiences.

Hope that helps?

Do share your thoughts?
Good luck.

KR
R

1 Like

I had been getting on very nicely with a near top spec LP12 some four or so years ago when the Tangerine Audio Stiletto arrived at my local dealer.
A phone call suggesting I might like to hear it at home was greeted by me with interest and no more than that. When the two decks were swapped the transformation took only 30 seconds to hear and a positive itch in my wallet.
The Stiletto is considerably heavier but not enough th worry my Audio-Tek wall support. The weight of the plinth is the real key to its success making the Linn, to me, sound relativly coloured. By no means a cheap upgrade as it puts the modified TT into competition with other £30K TTs.
Just shows the almost endless possabilities from it.
Fully endorse the machining, fit and finish which are first class.

@Douglas

I am delighted with my deck, Stiletto on another level, the musical uplift is staggering

Enjoy :blush:

When the LP12 was introduced Ivor Tiefenbrun had his hierarchy starting from the TT, arm and then cartridge. A philosophy still true today.

3 Likes

@Douglas @Antz Not that I’m looking (yet!) to move away from my Woodsong plinth, but I seem to recall that Tangerine Audio manufactures a specific baseboard and was wondering if the extra mass of the Stiletto compromises the Urika baseboard in any way?

Not in my experience to be honest, I May well look at the TA base but the Urika and base has no problem with the support of the weight of Stiletto and Keel in my case

It certainly does not lack for any musical detail for sure

1 Like

I am a fit and forget guy as my dealer does all the hard work and I just pay him!
The Stiletto was the most signilicant upgrade by Tangerine Audio. I went for their plinth bottom plate and three point triangular feet at a later date: Skorpion and Eklipse. TBH not a vast difference for me so for the cost involved you need to check it out. Once again very well made and excellent machining. All thanks to Derek and Mark.

1 Like