Show us your Sondek

What mine told me when I was interested 4 years ago. But then couldn’t. Didn’t have this bit, that bit etc. Bought a Michell Gyro SE in the end. Really happy. Minimal to tweak. Just have to listen and enjoy.

1 Like

TOTALLY AGREE

Yes.

Which is how my LP12 got broken up and a decade later my Linn dealer said he could make me a better sounding LP12 at far less cost.

These days I have a Clearaudio which with my Graham Slee sounds just as good

Oh and the same arm that is now on the Majik

Ian

4 Likes

Both Linn and Naim have, I think, a similar approach to marketing their products.
A hierarchy system which if you like their “sound” is almost a natural progression in “more music”. I have yet to ask my dealer who deals with both companies to return me to where I was before the upgrade. That’s quite a few as well from a 32/250 to a 500 system!

As mentioned up thread, rather than post it here amongst all these Sondek’s, I have now posted a picture of my turntable before I had an LP12, my Ariston RD80 in the Throwback System Pics.

I sold my RD80 on ebay about 6 years ago. ISTR about two hundred quid. I packed it REALLY well on a pallet and put a cone on the top (upturned bucket) all shrink wrapped with LOTS of ‘Fragile’ tape all over it and ‘This Way Up’ labels &c.

It arrived at the buyer on it’s side and the bucket was crushed so it must have been upside down at some stage in the journey. As you can imagine it was a bit damaged. Apparently the wood housing was split at the corners :frowning: The buyer was okay but, understandably, wanted some money off. I gave him 50% off and he went and got it reglued and made good by a mate who was a furniture maker.

A very happy 75th Birthday to Ivor - as I would say about JV also, I may well be pourer in my pocket for Linn & NAIM but I am certainly richer in Music -

14 Likes

Looks like this TT will melt once we enter spring… :wink:

7 Likes

Had it for nearly two years, fairly confident in it’s longevity .

I could see myself buying an LP12 , but it will be for aesthetic and sentimental reasons , Clearaudio is a brand that doesn’t get the credit it deserves on this forum

3 Likes

I saw, some blurb on a site that clearaudio helped linn design a tonearm to go on a lp12 don’t k ow if it’s true or not ill go back in my history and try and find it
Here you go I can’t post all off it as its a advertising

• Linn Krane Tonearm (In collaboration with ClearAudio)
1 Like

Clearaudio make two Satisfy Arms

There have been around a long time, I suspect there may have been a little bit of tinkering , but not much

Best wishes

Only for Majik LP12

1 Like

Back in the early days of Linn Products, about the early 1980s, I was in the now long gone Studio 99 in Swiss Cottage chatting to the very persauvive David Davies about Linn/Naim topics.
Who should walk in but the man himself, Ivor Tiefenbrun, doing the rounds of his dealers. Ivor would have been in his mid thirties at the time.
He was in no rush to dismiss me and talk to David. I had a good 15 minutes with him and he had probably soon worked I was one of the converted.
As its a good 35 years ago I have forgotten any details of our chance meeting. I found him very approachable and as you can imagine an interesting person to talk to.

7 Likes

@Douglas I have had the pleasure of vising Linn 3 times and Naim only once, both visits were a superb insite into both, Linn HQ is quiet superb

Staff at both serve both brands brillanitly

I met him once, he was meeting groups of customers in various towns and cities. Interestingly, we spent most of the time talking about non-hifi matters!

1 Like

I think it’s the Satisfy Carbon that Linn have adapted. I guess you buy your Majik and the arm is only available as part of the package.

I am pleased with the sound I am now getting , it takes me back to my LP12 days in the late 1980s/1990s

I met Ivor and Julian at a Hi Fi show and chatted to both, knew more about Julian due to his racing in minis. This would’ve been early 80’s at that time I was a regular at The Sound Organisation till it’s demise from then frequented Studio 99 owned at the time by John Tobler and run by Dave Davis.
One of the engineers there was James Herriot now the owner of Whest Audio. I spent a fair bit of money there LP 12 servicing, Nat 101 / Snaps, 2 Karmas. Never felt being pushed into buying anything it was a lovely shop filled with nice people. I remember them losing their Linn franchise because they didn’t want to sell their amplification.

Regards,

Martin

The “compare” table on the Linn website refers to it as stainless steel and aluminium and as you say only part of the Majik package.
Then, I find an advert for the arm alone at £900.

1 Like

It does, so it looks as if it’s derived from the Satisfy Aluminium, interesting that the Emotion turntable without arm and cartridge is £1650 (ish) but adding arm and cartridge take it to £2170 .

The combined retail for arm and cartridge is about £1900 as separates, so Clearaudio’s pricing strategy is clearly aimed at complete units.

All in all it’s a very nice arm, but I agree with those who say the old Jelco arm was a nicer aesthetic fit, but both are better looking than the Pro- Ject arm.

Bottom line - it’s a nice looking and nice sounding turntable

3 Likes