Throwback System Pics

Circa 2006 LP12/Stageline/HiCap/Ekos/Troika/CDX2/XPS/NAT05/52/52PS/Snaxo242/4x135/SBL

16 Likes

Just a learner then I see…

G

2 Likes

I didn’t take photos back then, so this photo of my first amp is not by me.
4395077e--1dff

5 Likes

Before and after I purchased my first bit of Naim kit (XS-2). Approx 10 years ago. The Teac CD-transport was built like a tank by the way :smiley:

8 Likes

1986 (so 35 years ago). Out with my Technics gear & Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers following my first visit to a proper dealer (Rayleigh Hi-Fi). I talked myself out of Cyrus & Naim amplification in favour of a Musical Fidelity A1 (nobody’s perfect! :joy:). Loved my Rega Planar 2!

17 Likes

Grainy photo scan - before my LP12, and first naim system - Ariston RD80 + Nytech 252.
Also pictured my Pioneer cassette player. This sounded great in my bedroom in the early 80’s!

20 Likes

I would imagine that was a well balanced system. I had the Calculator/Tuner/Amplifier version of your amp. Great sound for the price. Didn’t much care for the 2-pin DIN speaker terminals though.
Can you remember what speakers you used?

1 Like

Alan Freeman’s Saturday rock show brilliant was captivated with his shows. Best presenter ever a great loss sooo sad :frowning: still miss his shows and melodic tones

2 Likes

I had Kef Celeste’s - no pictures of those unfortunately. I changed the arm on the RD80 to a Linn Basik, then put that onto the LP12 when I upgraded, as shown below.

8 Likes

I still have a Nytech 252 in the attic. Used it for about 10 years. Sounded great.

2 Likes

I guess from about 2003 -2005. World audio kt88 valve amp I built from a kit then meridian 506, 501, 556

Phone pics of actual paper photos so excuse quality

5 Likes

Always liked the design of that Meridian series. I had a G08 CD player for a bit. God was it boring.

G

1 Like

Here’s my first Naim system 1998-2016:
CD3.5, Nait 3, HiCap, Creek T43 tuner, Monitor Audio 703 PMC speakers (later added Project Debut Carbon TT). Sound Org rack. I loved this simple system, sounded great (I wish I’d kept the Nait :unamused:)

10 Likes

Pic was taken in 2002 -syestem was a few years in the making… Arcam Alpha 9 - Integrated amplifier, Yamaha KX580 SE cassette deck, Kenwood 660l tuner, Sony MDK mini disc, Technics CD player. I had hooked up to Acoustic Energy 109 floor standers - lovely warm sound. Takes me back decades…29

9 Likes

I know that feeling, still have my CD3.5 and NAT03 (still in the rack -despite having a Nova)

2 Likes

Continuing with a couple more print scans - as shown above - Ariston RD80 upgraded to LP12.

Replaced the basic standard ‘hi-fi unit/stand’ with a new solid wood LP cupboard and separate shelf for the Linn. The shelf had a short drop ‘back’ to it, with a wide slot and internal metal parts - this enabled it to rest on a long metal bar which was bolted to the wall and was adjustable for level in all directions. It worked really well and I had my first realisation that equipment furniture could make a positive improvement to sound quality and engagement.

Then in 1984 I upgraded from the nytech 252 to first my naim system - 42 / snaps / 160
I remember Mike Manning (manager at the time) demoing this combination for me at Radford Hi-Fi. Naturally, I took some LP’s from my own collection, which included a Japanese pressing of Donald Fagen’s The Nightfly (now in the safe hands of my best music buddy) and it sounded amazing!

I never imagined how significant an event in my creative career and life this would actually become!

15 Likes

my dad used to have AR-7 aswell :smiley:

Circa 1995 Quad 77 & cd, LP12 DV10x5, Akai receiver as a tuner. That was 20 plus years after the Journey started.

7 Likes

Anyone had an Arcam Alpha 5 in the past? The first cd player I found remotely palatable.

G

1 Like

My first proper CD player was the Arcam Alpha (not the 5 though) through a 72/140 amp combo. Nice sound and well suited to the Naims I thought.
So much so that when it was time for a replacement I went for the Arcam CD23 FMJ (which I still use and enjoy to this day).

2 Likes