Show us your Sondek

What’s ‘tempi’?

It’s the t in prat…

2 Likes

@Blackstar -

I hate playing guitar to a metronome. It just exposes how crap I am keeping time…

How wide is the controller unit?

Me too. Nothing but admiration for professional musicians!

1 Like

I second that. Last evening had the pleasure of listening to the pianist at a restaurant on the outskirts of Newbury, who without sheet music in front of him rendered multi-layered versions of Kraftwerk, Simon and Garfunkel, Phil Collins, the Forest Gump theme and dozens of others, from memory. Truly amazing how some peoples minds can work. Apparently on one occasion Peter Purves came up to him with what they thought the playlist had been!

2 Likes

The controller units wide measures 28.8 cm

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

So that means that, with speed corrections being applied every sixteenth of a turn, the turntable NEVER runs at a constant correct 33 1/3 RPM speed. That’s likely to produce land-based sea-sickness, I’d have thought.

I’ll stick with the rock solid power supply from the 'Geddon on my LP12.

Well the adjustments are meant to keep the rotational speed ss close to 33.33333… as possible, but I agree the Armageddon is more than capable of making the LP12 sing, even my humble VP Revolution does a fantastic job.

I have no idea how an Armageddon works, but I’d be astonished to hear that it was changing/correcting its power output sixteen (or even ten) times every second.

It’s a transformer in a shoebox. There’s no speed correction or monitoring. 50Hz mains frequency keeps it turning!

The Armageddon is so simple and works so well that I wonder why some other electronic wizard has produced a box full of bits which changes speed 16 times per second.

I love that the Naim design is so ‘purist’ that (on the Olive version at least) it contains no green light to show that power is engaged, but you get a special one-off fascia which has an almost holographic ‘NA’ logo, which looks like the Naim backlit logo on all other Olive components.

1 Like

I always thought that an Armageddon sounded a bit better than the Lingo 1 I had, which in turn improved sharply on the Valhalla. The Lingo 4 is significantly better than Lingo 1 and it is rather less sudden than an Armageddon too.

I now have Radikal 1, which seems much better than Lingo 4, but I changed other things at the same time so should not be too firm on that upgrade in isolation.

Like several Naim products aimed at an LP12, an Armageddon was and is good and good VFM, and probably deserves its legendary status. However, that doesn’t mean that the later and more advanced options aren’t clearly better-if you listen carefully enough.

3 Likes

Not changing, checking and correcting for drift if any, doing nothing if no drift - if I understand right.

But I have a Lingo4 so don’t have a dog in this fight.

Do they still service Aro and Armageddon? Parts still available? Just wonderin’…

I think Linn got it right with the Lingo 4 with a single check per revolution. It’s worth noting that there may not be any correction at all if the speed is within tolerance. The same of course applies to the Mober, there are multiple checks per revolution but not necessarily any speed adjustments.

4 Likes

I won’t be changing my Armageddon, so I won’t be commenting further.

As far as I know, the ARO can no longer be serviced by Naim (lack of parts was the reason given, but I sense a cooling of interest in vinyl replay from Naim). If that is right, they will certainly be leaving the arena on a high with the Solstice.

I have asked the question on this Forum whether the ARO 2 made for the Solstice might be kept in Naim’s product list, but have seen no positive reply.

As far as I know, the Armageddon is still being produced. Someone will correct me, if this is incorrect.

1 Like

23504068413cdeb6c4abbc8bd07878b439bb9f5b_2_500x500
c2e512ec4f1c4f4b21955bbc213251b6afc531e8_2_500x500
There’s not a lot to service…

1 Like

Thanks Guinnless. I’ve never seen an Armageddon in the flesh, let alone inside. Looks like a Flatcap! Only less space.

1 Like

It was discontinued in 2015, Graham.