Show us your Sondek

So your existing Phono Boards don’t match your cartridge, then…? You could change them… :wink:

1 Like

So how about trying out your picture posting skills so that we can all see the result of your efforts?

5 Likes

Have to say on first listen the on board phonon sounds better than the Reflex M.

1 Like

That’s great news. If that’s the case you could sell the Reflex M.

Leave the Reflex M powered up all the time and swap them over. Is it a new Reflex M or old. They take time to burn in.

It’s not a cheap phonostage and should in theory sound better than phonostage on XS3. But things don’t always work like that.

Your ears, your system and your judgement are best indicators.

If it’s not as good as built in phono stage then that has got to be a good thing.

When I bought the Reflex M phonostage I think I had a Nait 5Si which has no phono stage. I have used it ever since and had phono boards removed from 82 when I had it.

1 Like

I think I will keep phono boards in my 52. I can always get an MC cart next time round and see how it sounds. My Dynavector 10X5 has been going strong for about 3 years and was lightly used when I bought it. My 52 has K boards.

1 Like

29 Likes

You don’t post pictures often, but boy when you do X)

Looks great!!

2 Likes

Nor did I on this occasion, I enlisted help!

But thank you.

2 Likes

I think that S boards suit a Dynavector cartridge better - that’s what I have been using for years.

1 Like

Now that is a stunning deck.
That plinth is really dark, looks like Chocolate Cake😋

1 Like

The wood is Wenge, a tropical hardwood, the plinth was built for me by Solid Sounds in Yorkshire - a genuine craftsman. I ‘fed’ the woodgrain with four or five applications of Lemon Oil before the LP12 was re-fitted into the new plinth.

Wenge is now, sadly, an endangered wood, so no longer available. I got mine last year, just in time.

2 Likes

I have an NAC82 - and use a DV10X. I originally used 522N boards, but have swapped the 523 E boards. This gives a much better match in volume vs the CD input.

You might even try your DV10X into your K boards.

(523 K boards can be converted to E - or S spec, by Naim or by Class A. My E’s were bought as S’s and converted by @Darran . Not expensive.)

1 Like

Yes my 52 had ‘s’ boards but use pass throughs as I use a Urika.
Kept the ‘s’ boards though.

I’m just leaving everything alone. I have made so many changes and spent so much money of late on hifi I am done for now on my system. My son’s system needs attention and am having his Thorens TD160 overhauled. The left channel phono plug has failed resulting in left channel not working. Unscrewing phono plug showed the lead has come away from solder. It hasn’t been touched for 50 years since purchased. Looking at new mains cable, new phono leads and tonearm rewire. But that’s another story…

2 Likes

Half a lifetime ago, I had a Thorens TD160S, with an Infinity Black Widow tonearm. I tried to convince myself that, as the construction of the Thorens was broadly similar to the LP12, it must be almost as good…

1 Like

It’s clearly nowhere near in my opinion. It was my father’s who is in a care home with alzheimers condition.

It’s important as family legacy turntable and I have many memories of it growing up. His system which was Pioneer amps and Tuner and the Thorens got me into this as a young boy. I was fascinated by music. He is a musician: keyboard player and vocalist. I guess from childhood I was brought up with music and it has always been important.

1 Like

Now that looks ultra special and beautiful pic.

I am so with you on that thinking Dan.
Two complete Naim system journeys both with upgraded LP12’s, done in the last 12 months.
Time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my wallets labours for a while🤣

2 Likes

You get a bit hifi’d out. And think you know what, I am done!

2 Likes

And yes, let the bank balance settle down. I have spent £15k of late and then there is still trickle spending in cable here, extra shelf. All adds up. But the results are marvellous and worth it!