Show us your Sondek

The Rad2 upgrade is stupid good. That and the Karousel are the best bang for the buck upgrades Linn has ever done

6 Likes

@Cymbiosis any updates on the Utopik power supply upgrade for the Radikal?

The consensus seems to be that the original Trampolin was only beneficial when you had no choice but to put your LP12 on a non-optimal surface, such as a heavy sideboard. The later Trampolin 2 has a metal plate, and is regarded as an all around sonic improvement.

The only exception I know of is with Mana, and there’s a widely held view that Linn on Mana sounds best with no baseboard (and with the Linn feet replaced with 3M bumpons, ref. no. SJ507601). That’s been my experience, and my Trampolinn 2 has been in the attic for at least 10 years.

I’ve been advised that I should try the simple metal baseboard, without the squishy Trampolinn feet, and I get that the additional rigidity may be beneficial but, without any realistic way of doing a comparison, my current inclination is just to leave it as is.

4 Likes

Nicnaim, not really anything for the Radikal yet. The Utopik will be rolled out across other products in the Linn range first. So we will have to wait a little longer !

2 Likes

Hello, Peter, the package should reach you by noon today.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. It’s your wording below:

…that was making me think about it in the first place. I will have to have this turntable (if I get one) on top of the hifi stand which is a) heavy given the gear on it and b) although on spikes, still on an upstairs, and hence suspended, floor.

I’ll look into the other avenues people have suggested, too.

You could try an IKEA Aptitlig bamboo chopping board. Very cheap as well.

2 Likes

Noted!

As others have mentioned, the otherwise-highly-regarded no-base option probably won’t suit you, but a Tramp 2 should work well.

2 Likes

Thanks Nick. I’ve wanted an LP12 for years even though vinyl is not (or let’s say has not been) my main source for many years, and I want to get this right.

1 Like

My top 3 upgrades to my LP12 in the past 41 years as follows:

1/ Keel
2/ Karousel
3/ KRad2

@Cymbiosis, do you mean there will be Utopik for the klimax solos?

I hope that will be the case for the solo and the twin, but at this precise moment in time until I can interrogate somebody in Sales following the receipt of the product bulletin yesterday. I would say it’s very likely.

“ It is our great pleasure to share that our latest generation of high-performance power supply technologies – Utopik – will shortly become available as an upgrade for many Linn products, both legacy and current.”

KR Peter

1 Like

@cymbiosis would you recommend the Tramp2 or Regular aluminum base on a Fraim with a concrete floor?

Trampolin 2

2 Likes

If at all possible, you should try to get your LP12 on a lightweight wall shelf, both for sound quality and as a practical matter. With a suspended wooden floor the LP12 will be quite prone to footfall, and this effect will be exacerbated if it’s sited on the top of a heavy stack.

Is that a special edition of the Ekos?

I’m trying to work out why the headshell is not the same colour as the rest of the tonearm - which I don’t remember seeing before.

Agree - the ‘Walk on by’ test of my LP12 on Fraim over a floating wood floor/concrete, dictated a wall shelf was needed. It can be quite subtle to detect.

I resolved that issue by building an isolation platform in my cabin.
It is mounted off the reinforced concrete base under the cabin, therefore detaching it from the building completely and especially the floor. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tis madness this hobby of ours :grin: Of course, if you have a strong suspended floor or a concrete one with a floating floor, another solution is to drill in and secure Pozi-screws for your stand, using the heads as mounting points.

Damage aside (and breaching any membrane!), this can work, but needs thought.