Show us your Sondek

The Collaro mat is a denser felt than the Linn mat. It is subtle but does sound different. You do need to lower the arm slightly as it will change the VTA from experience this will emphasize the treble. There are many discussions if you do a search on the mat including on this forum. The effect of the mat is as Bevo described but I went back to the standard Linn mat as to my ears it sounded more musical. Others have found the same so as with many things HiFi related some prefer it some don’t.

3 Likes

The Collaro mat still clings to the record if there’s static on it. Less than the Linn mat though.

1 Like

Have a laugh. :zipper_mouth_face: :rofl:

1 Like

I have a Herbie’s mat (from the USA) on my LP12 upstairs, which I’ve used for almost 15 years. (I know that our esteemed Moderator doesn’t like them.)

I will buy another one to replace the Linn felt mat currently on my second LP12, which (maddeningly) comes up with the LP whenever I lift it off the platter (despite Cymbiosis having put tiny adhesive pads on the underside of the mat).

1 Like

Having heard various mats over the years I have never felt any were better than the Linn one.

3 Likes

Then Herbie’s Way Excellent like @anon70766008 said.

2 Likes

I owned the Collaro mat for a while. It sounded different to the stock Linn mat so it definitely does something to change the sound, but I only found it to be different and not better. I found the Linn mat had a greater ability to present the differences in the recording quality of each disc which said to me that it had less of its own ‘sound’ than the Collaro. I also certainly preferred the plain black aesthetic, so the Collaro went on the bay and is not missed in my rig.

3 Likes

Just a quick one on VTA, whist the subject is in discussion.
How does the varying weight and therefore thickness, of vinyl affect VTA🤔
(…asking for a friend🫣)

1 Like

In theory, you would adjust the VTA of the tonearm for each LP that you play.

In practice, the varying thickness of different LPs seems to make no observable difference.

1 Like

:thinking: yet a mat that is marginally different in thickness does…:man_shrugging:t2:

I guess its a constant thickness difference rather than vinyl which is a variable?

I don’t even know how to do that…

Meanwhile, I’ve added 3 more inch strips on double-sided tape, making 6 in total. Silly really and I’m not inclined to put more money into a LP12 if you can’t even get the mat to stay on!

Now, where’s that ND555…

2 Likes

A simple thing you should try Dan is to turn the (Linn) mat upside down. One way up will sound better. This costs nothing, but might dispel your scepticism.

1 Like

Everything in ‘the loop’ makes a difference - especially so at every point where one material joins another. The bearing to the sub chassis, the sub to the armboard, the armboard to the arm, the arm to the cartridge. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that the vinyl to mat to platter interface matters just as much (if not more).

2 Likes

I think we’ve just started a “Matgate” scandal. :joy:.

My Linn mat is held in place by 3 very small strips of double sided and has never lifted in over 10 years.

I think if Linn felt ( :wink: ) that the Klimax LP12 could be improved by adding £100 to the cost and sticking a Colaro mat on it, they would have. Don’t you think?

We are definitely outnumbered here but remember Zulu :wink:

6 Likes

First things the mechanic of my Linn dealer (he does that job over 30 years) told me when he was installing my LP12:

1. don´t change that mat!
  2. never use clamps or vinylweights or whatever
7 Likes

Do you stop the platter before removing the record? I never had an issue with the Rega mats.

No, I’ve always placed and removed LPs while the platter is rotating. I must be getting good at it as most times the Lingo 4 doesn’t detect any speed change. It’s all in the flick of the wrist :blush:

5 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Maybe the Collaro mat, being slightly thinner has an effect on the cartridge tracking angle, I know mine sounds more to my liking than the stock LP12 mat.

Tim