Show us your Sondek

It’s a different beast entirley I’ve had all the variations.
The first red motor is mounted to the top plate with machine screws tapped into the resin composite body “ not tight and is usually a fit only once.
The motor case is longer and can foul the Trampolin foot inside the plinth.
None of the 1&2 parts are interchangeable.
The 2 has a new short motor with metal inserts for motor mounting and a better tacho system and a much bigger processor on the rad 2 motherboard.

Motor 1 on the right and Motor 2 on the left with casing inserts.

Main boards below Rad1 on the left and Rad 2 on the Right

Thanks to Cymbiosis for the web pictures. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Early shot of Peter Swain?

Apologies @Cymbiosis

2 Likes

:rofl:
I always thought that was an old pic of Ivor. :scream:
I’m sure Peter knew far better even then. :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

Surely Ivor would have been wearing a kilt?

2 Likes

Much better! It is NOT subtle. At least on my tt it wasn’t.

3 Likes

I think I’ll try using my other hand then…

1 Like

Exactly…. Funds permitting.

The Rad 1 is a massive upgrade on any Lingo and you will see quite a few around, secondhand or traded in as many people have gone to the Klimax Radikal. Any Radikal 1 can be upgraded to a Radikal 2 later, thus spreading the financial pain and the price of the upgrade kit when added to the cost of the secondhand Radikal 1 could well end up a fair bit cheaper than buying a Radikal 2 ought right! Food for thought!!:blush:
KR. Peter

5 Likes

Yep, lots of contradictions in this :man_shrugging: I think it’s exactly as @Dan_M mentioned earlier :rofl:

I love the various snake oil ideas though and especially the users reactions to them, it’s what makes this hobby so interesting and comical in equal measures!

2 Likes

? the thickness changes with each album regardless of which mat is used so it’s never consistent.
I think we all need two decks, one for regular weight albums, the other for 180g ones.

But….what about 200g? Perhaps we all need three decks. That’ll keep the industry going :rofl:

3 Likes

Roy Gandy is our friend. Isn’t he adamant that VTA is irrelevant?

4 Likes

I am really happy you made this post. :grinning:. It sums up my feelings on both versions of the Radikal. A used Rad1 is a compelling alternative to a new Lingo 4. A Rad2 is……expensive. If only money were no object. Let’s not forget that the Rad1 was a game changer and as an upgrade to any previous PSU is still a great option regardless of how much better the Rad2 is. For me, vfm is a big factor in my purchase decisions and a Rad1 is definitely on the radar but not for a year or two (when the next pension kicks in :blush:). I think that an Ekos 2 may also be a consideration and perhaps a used Keel. Rad2 and Ekos SE unfortunately are off the menu for me for financial reasons. If you look at my system you could probably predict exactly where my LP12 is going funds permitting :wink:

7 Likes

I cannot find the article, I recall a sample of 12 inch vinyl spanning about 50 years, the variation about 0.75mm, (80 gram to 200 gram weights) although apparently some manufacturing specs allow 3mm thick pressings.
The calculation, about 0.3 of a degree at the stylus. Imagine trying to reset an Ittok or Ekos…

2 Likes

I’ve enough trouble with tracking weight tbf!

2 Likes

Seconded :slight_smile: My thickest record is 2.5mm thick, I bet I own a range of thicknesses close to 2mm, I’m never going to worry about setting VTA optimally given that. And that’s despite owning a turntable with a very easy way to adjust it.

How did we manage our VTA with stackers. :scream: :rofl:

7 Likes

Wait a minute, there’s something not quite right about that image…

Yeah, you’re definitely right going with a radikal first!

My used rad1 made a big difference over the Armageddon I had before it… and that was hardly slumming it! Much more palatable financially buying used, too. Can always upgrade to 2 later!

You never know, you could possibly have a listen to a Collaro mat whilst you’re having the radikal fitted, depending if the dealer stocks them, obvs. Then you know if it’s for you I guess!

1 Like

Looks fine to me. You obviously missed that particular upgrade…

1 Like

Ok, so after people posting about the Collaro mat I made an observation based on my experience. Based upon the recomendation of the manufacturer and discussions and experimentation with my dealer I sugested something that I thought may be of use to people trying the mat. I also offered up a possible explanation as to why this effect was observed. This does not mean I obsess about VTA and in normal life ignore it working on the principle that when the dealer sets up my LP12 he sets the arm hight to the best possible compromise. What I got back was efectively abusive and no one has bother to suggest an alternative explanation as to what was observed. I rarely post on forums having experienced in the past that they can be inhabited by people that simply want to argue or criticise, as opposed to offering constructive comment. I thought this forum was different and took a chance on making a few posts that I thought may be useful to some. Thank you for proving my original assumption about forums correct and this one is no better. I was looking forward to some constructive dialogue with like-minded individuals who share one of my passions. At this point, I will bow out of this forum and not bother posting again. Life is too short, enjoy your discussions.

2 Likes

I think your observation about VTA was spot on and rather confirmed I wasn’t ‘hearing things’ when recently I made a small adjustment to VTA on my deck. Stick around, posts like that are definitely useful!

1 Like