Show us your Sondek

I agree, I found Subchassis and arm very big upgrades. I found the Cirkus bearing a positive move from the original bearing. I found the Karousel a bit of a negative tbh. It subdued the higher frequencies a bit making the sound less transparent and less dynamic. Not good with my ageing ears. ( Rectified partly/fully by running the cirkus inner platter in the K bearing.). Agree that choosing an MC cart/phono stage combination to suit your taste is important.
I was warned off the power supply ladder by someone who had done the whole journey. Still really enjoy my recapped Lingo 1. Other experiences may be different.

4 Likes

I must say that my upgrade from Cirkus bearing to Karousel was very obvious indeed and gets better as the pair mate in the well.
Maybe depends on the whole setup to show its benefits. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Same here… Since Nov’21.

Lingo Mk1 bought, pre-loved, then serviced… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Perplexing dilemma!
In your shoes I’d be tempted to get Peter to sell me the basic kit which I assume has Karousel (?), get Peter to throw in one of his Akito 2B arms (which you could reasonably argue is very nearly as new as the Krane you’d get in a Majik package, but is a much superior arm). Sneak in a used Kore that won’t be visible to a non-expert and compromise on a cheap, but reasonable MM as advised by Peter and you’ll have a considerably better LP12 at a vaguely similar cost to a Majik package and looks just as fresh as a new Majik.

Edit: I forgot that you’ll need a power supply: if you can talk the other half into a Lingo 4 then great :crazy_face: if not, Hercules should also be externally invisible?

Edit 2: Akito vs Krane: since looking high quality and new are important to your wife it may well be worth showing her the 2 arms side by side in the flesh. I’ll be shocked if she thinks the Krane looks better, newer or in any other way comparable to the Akito, which of course was Linn’s supplied arm on the previous generation of Selekt package rather than the considerably lower end Majik.
I wish you luck!

2 Likes

N, S, K, E?

Sorry to be a pain but I presume that the boards are different stages of development/introduction with ‘N’ being the originals? Are they user fit or do they and the pre-amp need to go to Naim or Class A or equivalent?

Again would I be right in assuming that these boards would be more applicable to a pre-amp of the 202 era or older?

Once I have my LP12 sorted I really need to get my head around these Naim classifications before setting out on the hunt for new amplification.

1 Like

I think the beauty of the LP12 is that you can take many routes to get your deck to the level you want and likely end up slightly above where you intended to end up. Very little of my 1978 LP12 is original. Just enough to look original. Now I have a deck that allows me to enjoy my music even more and has returned vinyl to my number 1 source for the first time in over 20 years. Whether I stick at this level or upgrade further, well time will tell. In the meantime, I am buying more records again and playing albums that I haven’t played for years. The TV is now sitting in the lounge looking neglected.

4 Likes

This is sort of what has been suggested, albeit with an Ittok rather than Akito 2B, no Kore but a Cirkus sub chassis? An AT MM cart finishes it off.

Again it all depends on how much I am willing to spend to get myself up and running, to get the ball rolling I have suggested the same as the cost of the new Majik.

Yes - that’s exactly what it is/was

1 Like

Hi Dan

Are you saying above your dealer discussed the Urika/Lingo 4 as a combination option ?

Is that possible ?

No, we looked at power supplies including Lingo 4. You can’t match Urika with Lingos.

I’d probably agree on likely superiority of an Ittok (though I think it’s a close call personally) but I was just thinking that if your wife’s concern is that the kit should be new and if her concern is about old, sticky bearings (may be a legitimate concern) then an Ittok might be a harder sell than an Akito 2B?
Or maybe not :persevere:

2 Likes

You had me worried there for a minute , thought I’d missed a trick mate

1 Like

Different loadings for different cartridges rather than stages of development. The different “daughter” boards would be for CB and Olive though classic stagelines also have different specs. Can’t speak to later built in phono. No problem swapping the boards at home - they just plug in. And some can be converted from one spec to another and there are different versions of each board that do reflect ongoing development so a a bit of a minefield, but a smaller one than the LP12!

3 Likes

Let’s see what options he can come up with. Whatever tonearm you get, make sure the bearings are good. Old Ittoks and Akitos could have dodgy bearings.

Like I said if it has Cirkus then all good IMHO. Others disagree and say Karousel is a must.

Make a list of what upgrades you want and ask for various prices.

My LP12 is pretty much there. Just considering Radikal 1 or 2 and Urika. Other than that very happy with the level it’s at.

I guess it’s Selekt level. But new Selekt has expensive new tonearm and cart.

2 Likes

No mate. You’re all :+1:

World Guru is quite a statement
I don’t know Peter Swain personally and have nothing against him, but there are other dealers out there who are also excellent at building and setting up the LP12

3 Likes

Dumb question: I have little idea about LP12 levels above entry level. A Lingo 4 is not up in the gods, lol, but which is the higher, Selekt, Radikal or Klimax? Guessing the first two because of the box.

Yeah - it was the headshell as I recall as it was a separately charged item on the basic arm I think

2 Likes

N - is the ‘Normal’ or MM board. Either NA322 or NA522 (*).

S, K & E - are different versions of the MC board, each having a different gain and/or loading. Either NA323 or 523 (*).

(S & K are relatively similar and are high gain for low output MC’s. E are medium gain.)

[3xx boards fit the half size NAC’s, such as the 32, 42, 62 & 72. 5xx boards fit the full width NAC’s, such as the 52, 82 & 102. The 200 series NAC’s have no facility for phono boards.]

2 Likes

The order goes in ascending order Majik, Selekt and Klimax.

You get Radikal with Klimax as standard. Radikal is an option on any LP12.

Selekt level now has very expensive cart and tonearm and Kore.

4 Likes